• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future of the Reserves

macattack

So there are a number of threads on the Reserves, but moreso with specific items. I thought it would be interesting to have a general thread on the future of the Reserves (unless I'm somehow being redundant, then I apologize mods), given aircraft like the EA-18 and P-8 coming online within the next few years (though there was a thread on Reserve VP's being disestablished in the near future). Will the Reserves just be whittled away to basically just VR missions?

navyao

It sure sounds like it...I thought I just read something that VFA-201 is being slated for disestablishment. VP-65/VR-65 transitioned to the C-130 and VP-66 was or will be disestablished.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
It sure sounds like it...I thought I just read something that VFA-201 is being slated for disestablishment. VP-65/VR-65 transitioned to the C-130 and VP-66 was or will be disestablished.

The Hunters of VFA-201 are gone by the end of March '07 last I heard.

It was actually VP-64 at Willow Grove that went to VR status, Not VP-65 (Which either got disestablished or are in the process of being disestablished).

VP-66 went away last year.

It's expected VFA-204 out of New Orleans will be the FY 2007 cut, Officially ending the USNR VFA era :(

VFC-12/13 & VAW-77 may be saved from the axe due to them being support squadrons (I'd be stunned if the VFC units went away either way)

VAQ-209 may survive since they've taken on the "support" role as well, apparently.

From what I've read, the future looks grim for the remaining Reserve Orion units as well.

If anyone on the "inside" has anymore info on possible USNR goodbyes coming I'd love to hear them.

Sucks to see the Reserve Hornets going away, Being here by NAS Atlanta and seeing -201,203,204 is what turned me into a Navy Guy and hope to be a Naval Aviator after all is said & done.

Adam

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
If by "support" you mean "in Iraq", then 209 is definitely in the support role....

Are the Star Warriors in Iraq, now?

I meant "Support" role as in apparently they just aren't doing typical VAQ work from what I've heard.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
What's the word on 209 post Shocker?

@ 203: Nobody's doing "typical" VAQ work these days. :D

Magic 8-Ball says "Future unclear; check again later". There are lots of potential forks in the road, none of them even close to being certain at this point. Best case: 209 gets EA-18Gs in some manner at some time. Next best case: 209 gets ICAP III hand-me-downs, flies them until the wings fall off. Intermediate case: 209 flies ICAP IIs until the wings fall off. Worst case: Game over, fold the colors, thanks for playing.

There are rational arguments for and against each of the above; the challenge is there is no clear-cut "right" answer. In the meantime, 209 is enjoying all the pleasantries that a certain dry, hot, and dusty Middle Eastern country has to offer...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Magic 8-Ball says "Future unclear; check again later". There are lots of potential forks in the road, none of them even close to being certain at this point. Best case: 209 gets EA-18Gs in some manner at some time. Next best case: 209 gets ICAP III hand-me-downs, flies them until the wings fall off. Intermediate case: 209 flies ICAP IIs until the wings fall off. Worst case: Game over, fold the colors, thanks for playing.

There are rational arguments for and against each of the above; the challenge is there is no clear-cut "right" answer. In the meantime, 209 is enjoying all the pleasantries that a certain dry, hot, and dusty Middle Eastern country has to offer...

Seems like you folks have historically had a pretty strong lobby on the hill which has worked to your advantage in that respect. I'll put my money on ICAP III, which from what I've heard from the fleet is pretty amazing.

Brett