• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Navy Cyber Operations Article

CWO_change

Interesting article. I can't say most of what I want to in this forum, but I will note that there were a lot of politics at play that led to the NDAA 2023 language being passed. That's not to say that the bill wasn't necessary (it was in many ways), but things were not as dire as some at USCC would make them seem. I'll leave that at that.

Moving on, and touching on the all-CWE aspect specifically, I don't think this would work as intended. What CWEs do is drastically different in the day-to-day than what cyberspace operations officers do in Cyber Mission Force billets. CWEs are a unique bunch and, while I'd like to see more information on their retention issues (there's not a whole lot of intelligence on this front yet as it only recently became possible for CWEs to serve past the O3 level without having to off-ramp to 1810), I'd bet that their retention would decrease if they were taken away from their programming and system build jobs and forced to serve as operators; quite frankly, many would get bored due to not being hands on while in traditional CMF operations roles. But we need programmers and system designers/testers/engineers as much as we need capable operations officers.

Also, and touching on some of the other service academy numbers (why the focus in on service academies, I don't know, as there are plenty of capable CWEs being commissioned via ODS today who are no worse off academically for not going to a service academy), an Army cyber officer (as an example) does not do the same thing that a Navy CWE does. I've served adjacent to Army cyber teams. The most technical officers on those teams are, like the Navy, the warrant officers. The O1-O5 types are not coding and programming and building things as a general matter, but rather are heavy into the operational side of things, though the average Army cyber operations officer is better trained and more technical in cyber than the average 1810 doing cyber jobs in my experience. One thing that is different, however, is that an Army cyber team, as an example, will have WAY more warrant officers in their ranks to provide that technical expertise where needed. Right now, the Navy cyber warrant officer program is beyond broken, particularly on the DCO side of the house as the focus has been to push folks into the W1 path to serve on offensive teams. As a result, many Navy DCO teams today are without warrant officer representation today, which puts Navy teams at a significant disadvantage compared to other service teams.

If we did go the all-CWE route, however, it is imperative in my opinion that CWEs go to OCS vice ODS; this is a sentiment shared by a former CO of NCWDG even outside of this context. Simply put, the environment that CWEs work in is vastly different from the more militarized environments that they'd find themselves in as operators. I'll be the first to put down many of the OCS traditions, etc., but I do give the program credit for testing people's mental toughness in many aspects.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
CWEs are a unique bunch and, while I'd like to see more information on their retention issues (there's not a whole lot of intelligence on this front yet as it only recently became possible for CWEs to serve past the O3 level without having to off-ramp to 1810)
Not to age myself, but when I first wore dungarees I can assure you the Navy was the best paying technical job around. Fast-forward today, the technical community are desperate for good talent and will do anything financially to acquire them. Our team is poached on by other contractor companies on a weekly basis with impressive compensation packages to jump ship (average mid-six figures w less than 2 years experience). Cost of living is a huge driver but what's equally concerning is that most of keyboard commandos find a sense of solace or comfort living within a CLI and avoiding the social interactions of life. Does this work as a Naval Officer? Definitely not because a leader needs to be an empathetic cornerstone in bridging those communication traffic gaps with a strategic mindset in carrying out the mission. If you want good CWE/hackers then keep them in an immersive role that breeds creativity and feeds their critical thinking challenges for all things operational. Again rough seas ahead with culture and legacy "IA" types still driving the objectives on an everchanging goal post relocation strategy.
I'd bet that their retention would decrease if they were taken away from their programming and system build jobs and forced to serve as operators; quite frankly, many would get bored due to not being hands on while in traditional CMF operations roles.
This is a fact. Look at the SEAL teams (enlisted types). They didn't join and pledge their lives to play C2 from a theatre perspective. Some if not most just want to put rounds down range and often leave when it comes to the silly business past E6/7. This analogy could be dissected further to a granular level with a different audience, but that community including SWCC went through those hard growing pains in the 90s and still do to date.
But we need programmers and system designers/testers/engineers as much as we need capable operations officers.
All areas of defense, industry, and critical infrastructure need this talent. But I question whether the HR process is actually effective. Too many FALSE positives and negatives with talent filtering. Setting aside National Security concerns, I'd wager to bet that > 90% of the hacking industry wouldn't pass a sniff check within the last 7 years of record on an SF86, but I wouldn't trust anyone outside that same group when it came to Cyber Defense skillset.
The O1-O5 types are not coding and programming and building things as a general matter, but rather are heavy into the operational side of things, though the average Army cyber operations officer is better trained and more technical in cyber than the average 1810 doing cyber jobs in my experience. One thing that is different, however, is that an Army cyber team, as an example, will have WAY more warrant officers in their ranks to provide that technical expertise where needed. Right now, the Navy cyber warrant officer program is beyond broken, particularly on the DCO side of the house as the focus has been to push folks into the W1 path to serve on offensive teams. As a result, many Navy DCO teams today are without warrant officer representation today, which puts Navy teams at a significant disadvantage compared to other service teams.
Taking all services into account- higher up leadership that are "competent" to make decisions on Cybersecurity, not from a rank perspective but actual content grade SMEs need to define the roles of each theatre, and posture the workforce around those objectives with quantifiable manpower deliverables. Set aside rank or uniform color. Focus on the talent needs first. If you find 13 good hackers that are a little heavy on the BANGs and Redbulls, then provide them physical fitness training and health nutrition courses, same as we spend every FY doing Cyber Awareness Challenges. Heck they'll be alot better coders when their bodies chemicals are balanced (Leaders Eat Last mantra). Just need to approach this from a different perspective.
If we did go the all-CWE route, however, it is imperative in my opinion that CWEs go to OCS vice ODS; this is a sentiment shared by a former CO of NCWDG even outside of this context.
OCS/ODS...tradition, maybe even revise ODS to include alot of the fundamentals and "right of passage" type tradition learned at OCS? Changing this will be like moving course of an Aircraft carrier with a bed sheet in a headwind, but you'd be the next Isaac Newton if you could do it.
Simply put, the environment that CWEs work in is vastly different from the more militarized environments that they'd find themselves in as operators. I'll be the first to put down many of the OCS traditions, etc., but I do give the program credit for testing people's mental toughness in many aspects.
We are an elite fighting force. Mental toughness needs to always be to be a priority at all cost...