• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future Make Up of the Forum?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Maybe this is kind of a weird notion to be having, but eh, what the hell.

It seems to me that as varied and diverse as the site is, there are a lot of folks (A) couple years away from the training pipeline/in college and (B) actually in pipelines. Granted this makes sense, as this board was originally designed as a student's resource, no?

Can anyone, based on experience, predict what the board is going to look like two to three years from now. Lots more Full-fledged Fleet guys (POUNDING WOOD, I PROMISE), perchance?

I suppose it's a strange, very esoteric, and hypothetical question...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nerds0py.jpg

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
eddie said:
Can anyone, based on experience, predict what the board is going to look like two to three years from now.

I suppose it's a strange, very esoteric, and hypothetical question...

Whoever can answer that question can feel free to chime in to what percentage gets jets...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
look at the site now. when I first found this site a few years ago, there were no where near the amount of winged aviators on here as there is now.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eddie,

That is a pretty good question, and one that I have spent quite a bit of time going over. Also discussing it with some of the senior members on the website, and time to time bringing it up in the moderator forums.

Since 1999 this website has gone through some milestones, changes in software, and membership visiting the forums. All of this has been driven by two things:

1) The expanding membership base.
2) The original members progressing through training and now are well into their first shore tour (aka ME)

The entire growth of the website has been based off of word of mouth, whether at the NROTC unit, in the pipeline (API), Fleet bubbas getting friends to visit the site, or the infamous google/yahoo search engine. I look at the server logs from time to time, and it is quite amazing to see some of the outlying sites that post links recommending AWs, from the ROTC units, to other aviation related forums. In addition, quite a few of the referrers are ppl clicking on links forwarded in email clients.

You have a couple core groups visiting this site:

- High school students trying to figure out where they want to go, and how to get there
- College/ROTC/USNA that want to get into Aviation, or already have their slot
- Enlisted personnel sharing gouge and resources on how to become an Officer
- Parents of those in training
- Spouses/girlfriends of those in training
- SNAs/SNFOs
- Winged Aviators
- Reservists/Retired Aviators
- Aviation enthusiasts

So, the website is basically growing, and the most telling trend, has been the increase in the number of Winged Aviators now regularly visiting the website (a dramatic increase over the last 18 monts). I think we have pretty much every single community covered, and the amount of discussion between the communities (wisecracks, give and take, and out an out discussion) is a GOOD thing to the growth of this online community.

The other segment, those that are in their Senior year of college, and just had service selection, dramatically impact the forum from DEC-JUNE. Every year we increase the forum page views during this period. Last year we went from DEC (~500K page views) to JUN (~2 MILLION page views), and then afterwards, a decline back to this DEC (around 1 MILLION page views).

- We have a core group, of around 2000 members that visit monthly, and around 4000 that visit every 2-3 months (recurring).
- I prune back registration every so often, but we experience around 10% growth on a monthly basis in new registered users.

Ok, so that is some basic background... or AW HISTORY 101... where is the website going?

It is my belief that we are going to continue to see an increase in base membership, and particularly a continual increase in the number of current and former Winged Naval Aviators.

The next question that needs to be asked, how are two distinct segments of the AW's community going to be satisfied, and continue posting/visiting? The goal of the site is still to promote a career as a Naval or Marine Corps Officer, in particular, that of becoming a Pilot or Naval Flight Officer. This website needs to continue to facilitate, and allow the college student (and to a lesser extent high school) to feel free to post and ask questions on how to make their goal a reality.

Second, and while not something I originally intended (or foresaw), a forum that those currentl and former aviators can post and discuss topics of interest.

Finally, something that was COMPLETELY off my radar when I switched the website to support forums, was the fast growth, and thriving online community (albeit most of it is under the private forums), of the Private Spouses Corner (for both girlfriends and spouses). That has turned out, largely in part to one of the wives that asked to start it and run it herself, to be quite a unique resource and chance for them to help out those girlfriends/wives new to the Navy. They too have gotten a few wives married to senior serving officers that have lended much of their experience they picked up over the years.

Bottom line: The website is here for everyone, and while I feel in needs to stay in certain bounds (and others that legally I have to maintain), I am always open to suggestion/criticism on how to make the website better.

Can't believe in a few more months, we are going to top 7 years up and online!

Regards,

John
Webmaster
www.Airwarriors.com

KBayDog

webmaster said:
Can't believe in a few more months, we are going to top 7 years up and online!

phrogdriver said:
I want a shot at the Air Warriors IPO...

Thanks for the awesome retirement planning advice you gave me last year, Webmaster. It's a good feeling to know that my entire portfolio consists of nothing but AirWarriors.com.

I'm so glad I didn't jump on the "diversification" bandwagon.

Thanks to AirWarriors.com, my wife and I now have...peace of mind.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want stock options.

Good post eddie and webmaster, good info to know.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I want stock options.

Good post eddie and webmaster, good info to know.
HAHAHA, was just thinking the same thing about the stock options. Contributor label becomes Investor.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@phrogdriver/kaydog: man, I KNEW marines weren't that "swift"... how much stock you want?

@flynavy: dude, YOU too??

I guess I will work on the "prospectus".... look for AW on the penny stocks soon!! Maybe I can afford a VENTI mocha instead of a GRANDE now...

@eddie: You will make an O4 weep with parental pride be exhibiting such independent thought and creativity. Can't wait to see what you can do with the Geedunk!! ;)

On a serious note, glad I could answer some questions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NROTC ??? That's a good idea .... I will call my old Unit in the next couple of days and suggest/recommend this website to the PNS .... :)

I love you P-3 drivers ..... :eek: