• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Further/more advanced reading for API materials?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
No, no, I'm not thinking this'll help me with API. I'm just really curious about this stuff and don't have an engineering or aero background. What books would cover aerodynamics and engines/systems at a more advanced (i.e. not simplified for english majors) level? I'm not afraid of math (that was my major).

Would Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators be a good fit?

Heloanjin

pilot
I think Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators has WAY too much math, and I'm an engineer.

My personal favorite is The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics by H. C. "Skip" Smith.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
NATOPS not a good enough sleeping pill? See your flight surgeon not an aero book.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Can I check out NATOPS before I check into Primary?

I've got Smith's book, which is great.

MasterBates

Here is what you should be reading in A-Pool

51W4CM8C8AL._AA240_.jpg

30481075.jpg

9780975264027.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm just really curious about this stuff and don't have an engineering or aero background. What books would cover aerodynamics and engines/systems at a more advanced (i.e. not simplified for english majors) level? I'm not afraid of math (that was my major).
Nerding out on this stuff already? I want you to concentrate on the number 58%. Too bad, you aren't in the Navy, you would make a great 3P :D I keed I keed.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I didn't even notice the third girl til after I noticed the first two had faces. That was about 2-3 mins after looking at the pic. Below avg on SA. :(

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
And less about this:
Fundofaeroanderson.jpg

That's the book I was going to suggest...

It's what many (maybe most) Aero Engineers use for 2-3 junior/senior level classes. The guy who wrote it is an 80-something year old professor emeritus at U of MD, who's been working on airfoils forever. He's got another book which is used for a freshman/sophomore class that might be more what you want. It's got math, but you don't need to be fluent in calculus/engineering to understand it (I think):

uploads%5Cimages%5Cbooks%5CM1CPIF.jpg

But +1 to everyone who says you need to spend more time on beer & girls.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I didn't even notice the third girl til after I noticed the first two had faces. That was about 2-3 mins after looking at the pic. Below avg on SA. :(

Hell, I can't remember what question I asked.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have seen all of these books in my college days and I hate you all for reminding me of it.... but I used the following book (ie: the one you mentioned) as a first semester freshman for an AERO for dummies book (no REAL eng. background required to get something from it, although you get more from it, the more you know). With a math background, you should get this stuff fine:

aerodynamics_for_naval_aviators_L.jpg

Oh, and by the way, the syllabus at API is also derived from this book (or so the instructors kept referring us back to it for further info)