• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Further Education while in the Navy

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
The answer is you will have few options.

1- You can use the GI bill to off-set the cost, but you will realistically have to do it on shore duty, and even then you might have a workload that doesn't support..

Does the GI bill cover undergraduate courses? I don't need too many more, USNTPS said calculus and physics plus a little beyond would do enough.

2- You can do a shore job at an NROTC unit and use your status as staff to get reduced tuition. Dunno how an NROTC job rates for aviators.

Good idea. A later post said NROTC is not good for aviators though. Can anyone answer why?

Be aware that the Navy benefits from you having a Masters, so that's where the options are.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the GI bill cover undergraduate courses? I don't need too many more, USNTPS said calculus and physics plus a little beyond would do enough.
GI Bill covers anything you want within reason. Check out the GI Bill website for details.

Good idea. A later post said NROTC is not good for aviators though. Can anyone answer why?
You are not flying nor are you getting FITREPS against a large competitive group.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
GI Bill covers anything you want within reason. Check out the GI Bill website for details.
You are not flying nor are you getting FITREPS against a large competitive group.

And you are well outside of your community golden path for forward progression. Even though it may be a sweet gig and personally rewarding, as well as career enhancing for some communities, ROTC is generally a kiss of death to an aviation career.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but:
Pre-OCS and already sweating the astronaut qualifications? As others have said above, there are a lot more crocodiles that are waaaaay closer to the canoe. You have so many things to accomplish between now and then, I highly suggest you file this one away and concentrate on what is important, like getting through the first week of OCS. Good luck.
To answer your question, however, the best solution to your problem is to take math and physics classes at your local university (once you are winged or before OCS). The non-technical majors that I know who were picked up for TPS did exactly that and were just fine.

TolgaK

PRO REC SNA!
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but:
Pre-OCS and already sweating the astronaut qualifications?

This board takes up a percentage of my time so low that I couldn't put a number to it. I'm not stressing over it. It's nice to have:

1) A series of answers I can refer to when the time comes, instead of finding these things out at the last moment.
2) Motivation. Knowing the future I want is still remotely possible (which I wouldn't without these answers), gives me another reason to keep pushing when I start slacking.
3) A correction of attitude. I now know when and where to focus my efforts.

The non-technical majors that I know who were picked up for TPS did exactly that and were just fine.

Good to know.