• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun in the centrifuge

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I thought the Hornet profile only went up to 7.2... That's what we did back in Feb.

Profiles have a max of 7.5. However, you have the option of requesting an extra run.

Last year we had a Marine do it all, with little effort. At the end of the run, he was asked if he wanted to come home. He asked for another run. He went to 8.5 and barely breathed hard. After the run, same question, same answer. This time he went to 9...only he closed his eyes. He was asked to please keep his eyes open as the observers needed to see eye reaction. He said he was sorry and that he was just resting his eyes. Da Man.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Profiles have a max of 7.5. However, you have the option of requesting an extra run.

Last year we had a Marine do it all, with little effort. At the end of the run, he was asked if he wanted to come home. He asked for another run. He went to 8.5 and barely breathed hard. After the run, same question, same answer. This time he went to 9...only he closed his eyes. He was asked to please keep his eyes open as the observers needed to see eye reaction. He said he was sorry and that he was just resting his eyes. Da Man.

What kind of physical conditioning do you need to handle something like that? Is it best to have a strong cardiovascular system, or just strong ass muscles to keep the blood moving UP? How would you train for something like that?

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
What kind of physical conditioning do you need to handle something like that? Is it best to have a strong cardiovascular system, or just strong ass muscles to keep the blood moving UP? How would you train for something like that?

I hear weight training and adding extra salt on your double big mac helps. And adding bacon can't hurt either.

Seriously though...you don't wanna be a marathon runner, but you need to be able to sustain an elevated heart rate without being winded. Doing that AGSM makes you breathe irregularly. A happy medium...as in decatholon type shape.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm in "I can pass the PRT" shape and had no issues handling the Gs and AGSM... The guys that the docs said were in the best shape to handle the Gs had the hardest time of it...

As long as you can pass the PRT/PFT, you should be fine.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
(6.7g's resting before getting tunnel vision. in case you were wondering)
I was, and wow. For real.

I've never gotten sick in a plane (knock on wood) but the fuge was more like a carnival ride...a POOR carnival ride.....than flying. I wonder if pullin gthose G's does help keep people from getting sick. I know after I was under G that queesy feeling subsided.

Hmmmm.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I hear weight training and adding extra salt on your double big mac helps. And adding bacon can't hurt either.

Seriously though...you don't wanna be a marathon runner, but you need to be able to sustain an elevated heart rate without being winded. Doing that AGSM makes you breathe irregularly. A happy medium...as in decatholon type shape.

Would swimming be a good way to train for this? I know that in my swim class we practiced keeping our Target Heart Rate high for sustained periods. I figure its the lowest impact as well... ??

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Would swimming be a good way to train for this? I know that in my swim class we practiced keeping our Target Heart Rate high for sustained periods. I figure its the lowest impact as well... ??

Dude. You don't have to train for the centrifuge. If you can simply do the AGSM properly you are fine. It's funny how many people can't say the word "HICK" while doing the AGSM. Seriously nobody G-LOCs in the centrifuge, if that's what you might be worried about.

It seems like everyone is just naturally equipped with a certain tolerance. I don't think there is all that much you can do, except expose yourself to G's and be in at least average shape. During the ACM syllibus you will notice your tolerance increase after a few flights. Worry more about weight training and not so much cardio I would have to say.