• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FTS APP

BrittO

pilot
All

Curious if anybody has any insight into the recent competitiveness of getting selected into FTS aviation from the latest boards.
I have my name in the hat this year, 1310 VFA , EP fleet, EP Vts EP diss sea tour ( navcent) with letters from 3 previous COs and the 3 star chief of staff here in BAHRAIN. 1x FOS to LCDR last year.
Thanks

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Totally depends on the board. From personal experiences the slots for each community vary each board, sometimes a community may need to fill only one slot (or none) and sometimes they can be looking for a handful of people. The submission deadline has passed for this board but if you put more than one community as a potential FTS community your odds definitely increase.

The big unknown for the next board or two will be how many guys are going to apply for FTS that were FOSd last year. The potential exists for a rather large pool of applicants.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I heard the other day that there are more applicants than FTS spots this board. I can't verify that, but that was some gouge I heard from someone applying. As IBB said, not every community gets a pick every board. As an example (I know it doesn't apply to you, BrittO), HSL/M wasn't able to select anyone the last two boards, so now it's their turn this board.

Good luck. Another couple of weeks to the board meets, but hopefully the results will be out shortly afterwards. I know several that are applying and it sounds like the competition will be stiff for everyone.

Gainful

pilot
BrittO I'm in the same boat as you. 2xEP fleet, then a dreaded non production 1of1 three years straight (detailer told me at the time, go ahead, take the 1of1, you're set for DH with your 2 fleet EPs): also 1xFOS

Did you read the notes in the YG limitation matrix? Basically PERS43 isn't letting any 04-05 1310 VFAs go unless they are at least 1xFOS (FOS slots on the other hand are unlimited release). There's also a note that regardless of which communities you apply for, you shall be considered first by VFA/C until they fill their available slots.

Also, it sounds like there are slots opening up around the VFA and VR communities. A lot. One quote I heard from a buddy in Key West was: don't go FTS, just get out and go SELRES like everyone else, it's way less bullshit to deal with, everybody that can leave FTS is doing so. All rumors of course, but I do know from talking to VR SELRES guys that every unit I've spoken to is taking people on the SELRES side because of people getting out to avoid the 7 or so IAs that got dumped on the SELRES community this FY. Don't know if there was a similar exodus from FTS (with the MSR and all).

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
^^^This^^^

Many guys in VR are dropping out of SELRES into the IRR in order to avoid a surprise 12-month vacation to Ass-crack-istan. Most of them are newly hired airline pilots who are worried if their job will still be there when they get back. Yeah, I know... Federal laws and all... but we know how that actually works out in the real world.

To quote a buddy: "I just got hired with Delta. Why would I risk having to leave for a year?"

Gainful

pilot
Good luck to all on the board tomorrow. A little birdy told me that competition will be pretty fierce. Just going to keep my fingers crossed and try not to sit around refreshing the selection board page over and over for the next 6 weeks...

Gainful

pilot
Someone who is well placed enough to know, but not dumb enough (unfortunately) to give me all the dirt.

elcidcannon

i am a p-3 nfo
None
I'm assuming the competitiveness is across the board due to the FOS rate last summer; however, doe anyone know what the typical FTS numbers are for NFO (VP, specifically). I know there's normally a large number of 1310's applying, but what about the double anchors?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...All rumors of course, but I do know from talking to VR SELRES guys that every unit I've spoken to is taking people on the SELRES side because of people getting out to avoid the 7 or so IAs that got dumped on the SELRES community this FY. Don't know if there was a similar exodus from FTS (with the MSR and all).

Seven IA's for SELRES or VR? Either number is absurdly low.

...Many guys in VR are dropping out of SELRES into the IRR in order to avoid a surprise 12-month vacation to Ass-crack-istan. Most of them are newly hired airline pilots who are worried if their job will still be there when they get back. Yeah, I know... Federal laws and all... but we know how that actually works out in the real world.

To quote a buddy: "I just got hired with Delta. Why would I risk having to leave for a year?"

The airlines are probably one of the most affected private industries most affected, if not the most affected, by reservists and their mobilizations. After serving with several score of airline pilots/SELRES over the years I have not heard of a single major issue with them maintaining their jobs with the airlines much less their seniority and all that comes associated with that. And after hearing them talk all the time about the airlines it would have certainly come up. from As a matter of fact many airline guys have used the reserves to their advantage with the airlines, taking military billets that are higher paying than their current airline salary while maintaining their seniority.

So worried about getting fired from he airlines because of the reserves? Yeah, not really.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Flash, I think new hires at the majors worry about probation. From what I understand (at least here at AA), over 60 day orders and the airline can EXTEND your probationary period day for day. Did the new hire complete consolidation? How often have they gone on mil orders while still on probation? Yes, I agree they are protected, but you ARE at risk for the company getting rid of you during probation for other reasons. Once off of probation, then not really a concern unless you are gone for a LONG time, recall a buddy saying 5 years or so? I don't know, since it will never apply to me, but you have to be gone for a long period of time before it can be a negative factor.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash, I think new hires at the majors worry about probation. From what I understand (at least here at AA), over 60 day orders and the airline can EXTEND your probationary period day for day. Did the new hire complete consolidation? How often have they gone on mil orders while still on probation? Yes, I agree they are protected, but you ARE at risk for the company getting rid of you during probation for other reasons. Once off of probation, then not really a concern unless you are gone for a LONG time, recall a buddy saying 5 years or so? I don't know, since it will never apply to me, but you have to be gone for a long period of time before it can be a negative factor.

I understand the probationary period concern but even then the worst that I understand would happen would be an extension of the probationary period. From talking to the folks I have known the only possible issue would arise when someone blatantly abuses the system, getting hired with the intention of volunteering for a mob 2 months after getting hired, and even then they wouldn't get fired. An involuntary mob though, no issues. And it would be even less a concern if hired soon after leaving active duty with the two year 'holiday' from involuntary mob's after joining the reserves. And yes, I have known a few guys who did 3-5 years with the reserves before having to go back to real life, all of them are doing fine with the airlines.

My concern is that there seems to be a lot of rumor that conflicts with the facts when it comes to reserves, mob's and how it affects 'real life'. That and the whining coming from the VR folks just annoys me a bit. :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
someone blatantly abuses the system, getting hired with the intention of volunteering for a mob 2 months after getting hired, and even then they wouldn't get fired.
I disagree. Probation is just that, you are an at will employee with the airlines. Everything is at risk and you do not have the full protection of the Union. Once a month I check the list, and I will see a "released" next to some new hire/flow's name. It could be training related, personality, poor attitude, etc. But to think you are bullet proof is insanity in this game, since there are so many pilots waiting to get hired. Why add risk to the equation? I talked with a fellow new hire during training, he had not one, but TWO missed flights. Chief Pilot brought him in and gave him a come to jesus moment on the importance of making flights, or communicating if you are going to be late/etc. Normally a probationary bubba would be gone after the first. A couple acquaintances have been given a little more attention since they were gaming the system straight after getting hired like you mentioned (straight back to reserve orders). Civilian companies are the same as working in the military, don't be a dick and do your job, and you shouldn't have anything to be concerned about. I don't think anyone in management at any of the airlines is "gunning" for terminating pilots, but they DO have a window of opportunity to make their decision on keeping you as an employee during that first year, you just can't forget that or let it drop from your scan. But I wouldn't advocate what you are saying "you won't get fired", because that isn't the case. Get through probation and become a full Union member. My two cents.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Another issue I've heard airline guys who are established at their airline is that the earning potential, even if it's for a ~270-365 day MOB, is greatly reduced if they play Navy. If they're already making $X, why take the pain AND earn less than $X. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but just a serious consideration for many.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree. Probation is just that, you are an at will employee with the airlines. Everything is at risk and you do not have the full protection of the Union. Once a month I check the list, and I will see a "released" next to some new hire/flow's name. It could be training related, personality, poor attitude, etc. But to think you are bullet proof is insanity in this game...A couple acquaintances have been given a little more attention since they were gaming the system straight after getting hired like you mentioned (straight back to reserve orders)....Get through probation and become a full Union member. My two cents.

You do have the protection of federal law though WRT to mob's though, that is what I am trying to emphasize.