• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From TNPQ to Re-entry

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Searched around and didn't find anything that exactly matched what I was looking for.

I arrived at OCS with 04-19, and got an injury that earned me TNPQ status. I'm already fully recovered, but realize there's a 6 month wait period, was separated with a RE-3Q code, yada yada, I understand that bit.

What I'm not understanding is the path back into OCS. Members of the OTCN chain of command - namely the lead Class-O and the deputy director - seemed to believe firmly, and stated explicitly, that I did not have to fully reapply to OCS, that I only needed to wait out the 6 months and go back through MEPS. The lead class O also mentioned a story of a candidate that he had seen be TNPQ'd and returned roughly 6 months later - something that would be nearly impossible if that candidate had to start at square 1. In addition to all of this, the flight surgeon who typed up my TNPQ letter in the first place described it to me as, I quote, "a backdoor into OCS." Here is where I mention that all my TNPQ letter says is that I have to wait 6 months and be able to pass a PRT. Doing and done.

Fast forward to the present, and my recruiter insists that I must fully reapply - that I must not only appease the medical side of the house, but go before a board as well. This adds, at the very least, several months to my process. The personnel officer at OTCN agreed with this idea of the process, but did not reference any regulations. I was out of there before I had the chance to talk to him about it to much extent.

Like most people who were involuntarily disenrolled, I was extremely surprised to be sent home. I did not and do not have a backup plan in place, apart from joining another branch of the military, which would take even more time. The longer I spend in limbo, the more difficult my life becomes. I'm sure someone is going have something they think is clever to say about that, but I went as far as seeing an optometrist, audiologist, and general physician to make sure there were no surprises. I basically went through a second MEPS on my own time and money prior to shipping out.

I've looked through many different MILPERSMAN, BUPERS, and NAVCRUITCOM documents looking for regulations supporting either assertion as to the proper series of events, but have found nothing that explicitly applies to Navy OCS. In addition to this, I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet a story or testimonial about a TNPQ who found his/her way back into OCS. OTCN chain of command and some candios told me a story or two, but it sounded rare and disproportionate small compared to the number of TNPQs.

What I'm looking for is this:
- Recruiters and admin personnel: What are the regs supporting either of these accounts of how this is supposed to go? They must exist.
- Anybody who was TNPQ and made it back: Tell me your story, if you can.

Disclaimer: A number of people are going to be able to deduce from this post alone who I am, nevermind a deeper look at my profile. I'm not calling anybody a liar, I just want to see some things in writing.

exNavyOffRec

The people at OCS don't know the path or what needs to get done to go back to OCS, basically what it comes down to is you have to do what NRC wants you to do and the 2 people I had that were sent home due to conditions not in their control both needed to fill out new applications and have them submitted to NRC for board consideration, both were given Pro-Y's and went back to OCS.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
The people at OCS don't know the path or what needs to get done to go back to OCS, basically what it comes down to is you have to do what NRC wants you to do and the 2 people I had that were sent home due to conditions not in their control both needed to fill out new applications and have them submitted to NRC for board consideration, both were given Pro-Y's and went back to OCS.

I appreciate the encouragement sir, but are there any regulations I could see just to better understand how this all fits together?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I appreciate the encouragement sir, but are there any regulations I could see just to better understand how this all fits together?
Don’t get lost looking for a reg. You got your answer, reapply and you will almost automatically get a slot. Your RE code requires a waiver. The waiver can only be had through reapplication.

It’s just paperwork.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

To piggyback @NavyOffRec there isn’t a specific instruction or regulation out there for folks discharged from OCS trying to come back. Your OR can contact the Program Manager (note: your OR contacting not you) to get verification and clarity.

As for medical, just because OCS says you’ll be fine means you’re in the clear with getting N3M/N33 qualified again. I had one girl who was medically discharged, got told everything would be okay, resubmitted the applicable paperwork only to get DQ’d. It was the end of the road. Unless you were a douche at OCS or it’s a blantantly awful medical condition (like asthma) the OCS staff will always recommend returning regardless of the medical circumstance. Their opinion might not match with N3M/N33’s...

@Griz882 has some good points. You will likely need both a medical waiver and CNRC discharge waiver in order to at least be re-considered.

All in all, keep in comms with your OR. They helped you get in in the first place.