• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From the Wish I'd thought of this department .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bush to Propose Oil Refineries at Ex-Military Bases
Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:11 AM ET

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8306040

Let's see: we need more refining capacity .... we haven't build a new U.S. refinery since 1976 ..... build on surplus Federal land .... bypass many local/state regulations ... put the kibosh on many environmental objections .... got many closed bases .... gonna close more ..... provide many high-quality local jobs ....up the Liberals ..... Sounds like a very interesting idea to me ....... you think ???

KBayDog

Bellows would be an excellent location for a nuclear power plant. Who's gonna mess with it, what with two-thirds of the Third Marines and *gulp* MAG-24 just a stones' throw away at any given time... :eek:

Seriously, sounds like a good idea. Better to use that land productively now, than to wait for developers to build thousands of houses on the old bases and then have the residents sue for billions within a decade because their kids are being born with three heads.

Grant

I think oil refineries are a great idea. Much better use for closed bases than selling the property dirt cheap or giving it to municipalities. Prime example, in my opinion, is the former NAS Dallas. The DoD gave the land to the City of Dallas, which in turn sold the property to some developer that was wanting to market it as an executive airport. Good job... open a new executive airport in an area already saturated with quality competition. Love Field, Meacham, Alliance, hell even Arlington Municipal Airport is a very nice facilities, thanks in part to Bell-Textron legitimizing the place. Additionally, NAS Dallas was pretty much in the ghetto. Anyone that has been there knows that the neighborhood is pretty rough. "Dallas Millenium Airport" was doomed to fail from day one.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not bad idea to start with contaminated land right off the bat...can't get any worse. We used to dump fuel on the tarmac at shutdown all the time in old F-14As.

Have you seen the costs to make El Toro property livable??? Billions.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Sounds like a great idea to me, but for some reason I doubt it will happen anytime soon. And we'd have to get more oil to begin with to refine it, which would require OPEC to pump more or the domestic oil production/pumping to increase. Definitely in support of it though.

Lawman

None
Schnuggapup said:
We used to dump fuel on the tarmac at shutdown all the time in old F-14As.QUOTE]

You make it sound like dumping fluids on the tarmac wasnt SOP for Turkeys. Ive never seen another plane that needed to have a kiddie pool packed in the travel pods when it went anywhere.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, in the more recent years we put huge drip pans under the jets and caught the hot venting fuel from the boost pumps at shut down.
I keep thinking of that scene from Poltergeist where the old grave yard pops up in the yard during the big storm. All I can imagine is old fuel oozing out of the ground in a similar nightmare scene at El Toro....

(damn poltergeist pic didn't work)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Schnuggapup said:
We used to dump fuel on the tarmac at shutdown all the time in old F-14As.QUOTE]

You make it sound like dumping fluids on the tarmac wasnt SOP for Turkeys. Ive never seen another plane that needed to have a kiddie pool packed in the travel pods when it went anywhere.
It's a Grumman product selling point. Prowlers do it too.

Brett

Lawman

None
OK quick Grumman question, the relief tube... is it free flow or does it get stored somewhere.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Lawman said:

Brett

our overspeed drain valves still dump fuel all over during shut down. Only place Ive ever seen a drain pan was 29 Palms (I guess we have to preserve the natural beauty-hey wait a minute???!!?!?!??!?!?!?!!) Flt liners had gatorade bottles to catch the fuel in.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
OK quick Grumman question, the relief tube... is it free flow or does it get stored somewhere.
Vents to the outside w/ a little valve on each tube. Doubles as a gag sound powered phone for the "new guy." "Hello? Can you guys hear me? What's everyone laughing about?"
Pressure differential provides a not unpleasant sucking action as well.

Mmmm...suction :icon_mi_1

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:

I can't remember, but it's gotta be "free as the driven snow" --- my roomate peed all over the final checkers on deck during a suspend on a "BEAR ALERT" launch ...... many middle fingered salutes for him.;)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Lawman said:

Brett

You mean you have to shut down to leak? We do it on the flight deck with engines turning! Gotta love Grumman.

Status
Not open for further replies.