• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From NROTC to SEALS

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I place the whole "I wanna be a SEAL" thing in the same bin as the "I wanna be an astronaut" thing.

I can understand the sentiment, especially when reading about someone interested in the community on the internet. But some make it happen BECAUSE that's all they want. See: Petty Officer Suh.

JWL

You forgot his MD...from Harvard. Talk about pissing excellence.
Yes. I actually read about him before his astronaut selection. After the SEALs, he completed his undergrad in 3 years, in math, and with all As. He mentioned something to the extent that after the SEALs and war, everything else paled in comparison.

All these other candidates, including a few other Navy ones, appear to walk on water as well.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/candidates

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I meant that I expected some chop busting for asking. That's totally ok by me.

And good on you. But my post wasn't meant to bust your chops. It was more about gently poking at Brett that some times having the goals will get you on your path, no matter how incredible those goals may be, even if it isn't the path you originally sought. And I know Brett knows this.

And Suh was a NROTC classmate of several of us here on the site.

JWL

And good on you. But my post wasn't meant to bust your chops. It was more about gently poking at Brett that some times having the goals will get you on your path, no matter how incredible those goals may be, even if it isn't the path you originally sought. And I know Brett knows this.

And Suh was a NROTC classmate of several of us here on the site.
Thanks, Gatordev.

And, God bless Petty Officer Suh and the other operators who perished on that day.

It's incredibly difficult to get into BUD/S as a ROTC guy. I had an ROTC classmate who was out of central casting for a SEAL candidate; high grades, absolute PT stud, leadership, etc. He didn't get a slot upon graduating, though I'm convinced he would have easily gotten in the door if he'd been from the academy. It all worked out for him though, he went to a DDG, did well there, got all his quals, and he started BUD/S shortly after pinning on his SWO pin. He's now in his 3rd operational tour as a SEAL officer. So if that's what you want, don't give up if you don't get a slot out of ROTC.
Is there a height maximum requirement for the SEALs? Don't they need to fit in small spaces and submarines?

then I guess being to big would be a disadvantage. I think for the Navy in general the height cutoff is 6'8". Are there any such official cutoffs for specific communities such as SEALs and Subs? I did find out that 6'5" is the max for aviators and that's helos.

JWL

When does a prospective SEAL officer candidate attend SOAS? Is this directly after the 1st summer cruise and right before starting senior year of college? Or, is SOAS in lieu of the 1st summer cruise?

Thank you.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Howdy,

Approximately how many SEAL candidates get selected from NROTC?

From what I have read here, it appears that most officer SEAL candidates come from USNA. Is NROTC the second largest source of SEAL candidates with OCS being last?

What are factors, aside from being in tip top physical shape, are considered? Does come down to having a killer GPA in a STEM major?

Do 4 year NROTC participants have an edge over to 2 years NROTC candidates?

Thanks.
Less than 1 per NROTC unit per year. Probably on average .65

You have to be pre screened to select NSW out of NROTC - and it means generally NCAA Division I athlete .