• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From Civillian to Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

I am currently a civillian looking to become a Naval Pilot. I am 23, a high school graduate, but with no college credits to my name. I was trying to research any programs that would allow me to enlist, and then work my way up to pilot. (Be it that I achieve a degree while enlisted, or participate in a program that allows training up to becoming a pilot)

I really am just looking for an option that doesn't include me going to college for four years getting a basic degree with no time serviced. Does a program like this exist?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am currently a civillian looking to become a Naval Pilot. I am 23, a high school graduate, but with no college credits to my name. I was trying to research any programs that would allow me to enlist, and then work my way up to pilot. (Be it that I achieve a degree while enlisted, or participate in a program that allows training up to becoming a pilot)

I really am just looking for an option that doesn't include me going to college for four years getting a basic degree with no time serviced. Does a program like this exist?

It's much harder to do the method you're talking about rather than to go to college and get into a ROTC program, or apply for BDCP or OCS once in college. HOWEVER, you can enlist, and start working on your college degree (NOT at the expense of your job though... that doesn't look good), and then apply for OCS or a STA-21 program.

The reason is that, while it is possible, the enlisted side is structured for an enlisted career, and the Officer side is structured for an Officer career. So with this fact, you're making it more difficult on yourself to attempt to transfer from one side to the other.

Ask ANY other officer and aviator on this site, prior enlisted and not, and ALL will tell you (myself included): DO NOT enlist with the intention on becoming an Officer (much less, a pilot).

DevilDog9782

Jordan,
You have to be an officer to be a pilot. You have to have a bachelors (4 year) degree in order to be an officer. Therefore you have to have a degree to become a pilot. May I ask why you do not want to go to college?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Jordan,
You have to be an officer to be a pilot. You have to have a bachelors (4 year) degree in order to be an officer. Therefore you have to have a degree to become a pilot. May I ask why you do not want to go to college?

Well based on his question, he understand the above, but wants to get his degree while enlisted, hence my response to his question.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Ask ANY other officer and aviator on this site, prior enlisted and not, and ALL will tell you (myself) included: DO NOT enlist with the intention on becoming an Officer (much less, a pilot).

Concur...the road is longer and harder if you take that route.

Jordan

If I wanted to go to college, I would be there right now, or would've at least tried to go by now. I don't want to go to college and wait patiently for another four years to start my life. (And in the meantime continue to be side tracked by BS.. Long Story ) I'm enlisting into the Navy ASAP. :) It just makes way more sense to me, at this point, to enlist, start having experience, time served, make money, have health benefits, etc. I don't really care that it's "harder", because that's just more of a challenge. Ok, I like challenges. Bring it. I just need to know that it's possible, and what are the steps to do it.

There are my thoughts. Flawed? :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If I wanted to go to college, I would be there right now, or would've at least tried to go by now. I don't want to go to college and wait patiently for another four years to start my life. (And in the meantime continue to be side tracked by BS.. Long Story ) I'm enlisting into the Navy ASAP. :) It just makes way more sense to me, at this point, to enlist, start having experience, time served, make money, have health benefits, etc. I don't really care that it's "harder", because that's just more of a challenge. Ok, I like challenges. Bring it. I just need to know that it's possible, and what are the steps to do it.

Like I said, you can apply for OCS from the fleet once you have a college degree, apply to the academy or NAPS before your degree, or apply to STA-21 with no or some college credits. Search this site for info on all those options.

Good on ya for wanting it, good luck for doing it the hard way, and feel free to ask SPECIFIC questions which may not have been addressed on here before if you need any more help.

Just don't ask questions which have been asked and answered 1000 times on here. There is PLENTY of gouge on here to keep you reading for days.

Best of luck!

Jordan

Thanks for the advice! I'm not completely sold on being a Pilot, just weighing my options. Between nuke, CT, and everything else, I'm a little more than lost.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yes. There is a max age to be a pilot. I think it is 27 with no prior service. If you enlist, there are age waivers for a couple of more years.

But it will probably take you more than 4 years to get your Bachelor's degree while serving on active duty as an enlisted Sailor. You will be on sea duty and there is no way you will be able to maintain anything close to a full time college schedule. Most active duty enlisted Sailors I knew took at least 6 if not 8 years to get their degrees. Plus add in at least a year from degree completion to commissioning assuming you get accepted after you complete your degree. I don;t think you have the time to do it this way and make the pilot max age.

There are programs to get your degree while on active duty that allow you to attend college as your primary job. But selection is very, very competitive and you would need to have some time in the fleet before you had a chance of being accepted. Probable at least 3 years minimum from the time you go on active duty. So degree completion is again pushing the age limit for pilot.

You chosen path is doable if your goal was just to be a Naval officer. If pilot is your goal, because of your age you need to rethink completing college first and as quickly as possible.

Clux4

Banned
If you were my brother, I will tell you to think about the Army Warrant Flying Program. You can serve(fly), and get a degree on the side. You can always come back to the Navy to serve as as a commissioned officer with butt load of flying experience.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

While your plan is completely possible, it is a long road. (thats the road I took). If you do decide to enlist, just make sure you research the different jobs thoroughly first. Also, if you want to be a pilot, they like prior aircrew guys. You'll have a good understanding of how naval aviation works and a lot of things will already be familiar to you.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
You want a challenge? Go to college and get a degree.
Terrible evil challenges await.

Like avoiding STD's and minor consumption charges. However, since you are 23, you only have to worry about the gonasyphalitaherpalaids.

Seriously though. To be the broken record, if your goal is to be a pilot, then your biggest challenge is time. Being prior enlisted buys you a few years, but as they've said before me, you cannot guarantee your timeline if you enlist. However, there are degrees that are very completable in 3 years with some hard work.

food for thought.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While your plan is completely possible, it is a long road. (thats the road I took). If you do decide to enlist, just make sure you research the different jobs thoroughly first. Also, if you want to be a pilot, they like prior aircrew guys. You'll have a good understanding of how naval aviation works and a lot of things will already be familiar to you.

Speaking of long roads... are you done yet??

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of long roads... are you done yet??

Just passed my instrument check today. INAV solo tomorrow and then a couple non graded events (form/over water nav) then I'm done. I'll be winging on Nov 20. Gonna come and get drunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.