• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From Air Force to the NAVY my story

M3_POWER

Hey guys, my name is Chris and I have been lurking on these boards for a few years now. I was recently pro recd for NFO and SWO and I'm so excited!

It was a long hard journey to get to where I'm at now and this is how it went. I received an AFROTC scholarship coming out of high school and went to Embry-Riddle (Embry ridiculous). Through my ROTC career I was a stellar cadet.... I was looking golden to get my flight and slot and did until I was DQ'd for depth perception (some one striper messed up my test when I was at medical). My world was crushed.... I decided to press on and to make the best of things and become a commissioned officer. I got another job and was a few weeks away from being a 2nd Lt, until I spoke to the NAVAL recruiter down here in Vegas. The Lt told me if I wanted to give it a shot to become a naval aviator it was a good time to apply. After thinking hard I decided to drop my commission with the air force and give the NAVY a shot. Why should I become a security forces officer when I would just missing out on my dream to fly? My detachment commander didn't like my choice of dropping out and decided to dissenroll me for some bs excuse. I was honorably discharged from my contract. After that, I worked on my package for the NAVAL boards and I was denied my first shot and decided I will give it one more try. I was so ticked off that this Air Force discharge was following me with this NAVY package and felt there was no way of them accepting me. The old Lt retired and I got a replacement who was awesome and helped me out tremendously. Finally after 6 years of trying to become an aviator I can almost see the light and I was selected pro rec for NFO..... With all the time I put in through AFROTC and the $40,000 loan I have to pay back to them, I think this was my best decision of my life. Thanks for all of the helpful info guys and I hope my story gives inspiration to you folks that are trying to get into the NAVY.

GO NAVY!

By the way, does the NAVY have a program that pays back any student loans incurred?

snake020

Contributor
With all the time I put in through AFROTC and the $40,000 loan I have to pay back to them, I think this was my best decision of my life.

No doubt, easier to get in before commissioning in the Air Force than after, which is what I did. But I thought they were waiving payback of scholarship money because the AF was top heavy on junior officers? They waived my payback.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
No doubt, easier to get in before commissioning in the Air Force than after, which is what I did. But I thought they were waiving payback of scholarship money because the AF was top heavy on junior officers? They waived my payback.

Interesting because about two years ago I had heard they were sending USAFA grads packing and making them pay back for their education because they had too many JOs. I know when I got out to go into the reserves my commitment was converted to the IRR.

snake020

Contributor
Interesting because about two years ago I had heard they were sending USAFA grads packing and making them pay back for their education because they had too many JOs. I know when I got out to go into the reserves my commitment was converted to the IRR.

If they were invol sep'd because of the RIF/force shaping boards, not only did they not owe, but they were given the opportunity to buy into the GI Bill.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
The Navy won't cover your student loans for you right now, but the Marines will if you commission this year. You picked the wrong service! But no really, congrats, you've got a good story that all of the daydreaming kids should read. It's awesome when you finally crack the system.