• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Friend in Need

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is there a difference in treatment for the winged single-anchors and the unwinged penguins, or are they equal opportunity haters there?

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
Hey everyone sorry i haven't responded. I talked to him and got him in contact with a few P-3 FOs with a different perspective. He recently had a really bad flight with congestion that caused him pain and he's been med down since my post but really had his spirits lifted after getting a break. I really appreciate the info passed on all of it to him and I'm sure he will be fine now after he goes med up after the holiday. Thanks for the help and if any of you will be in Key West this weekend I'll be staying there for a xcounty. Been there once but anyone have any good bar recommendations? Thanks.
Bowman

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thanks for the help and if any of you will be in Key West this weekend I'll be staying there for a xcounty. Been there once but anyone have any good bar recommendations? Thanks.
Bowman

Ricks. Upstairs.

Do NOT miss this place under ANY circumstances. Bring plenty of $$$ in singles.

You can thank me later.

Have fun, be shit hot, and don't fuck it up.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I'll be totally honest...

I almost quit a few times: In T-2s, I had a couple of crappy flights while doing RIs and Fams at the same time (double pumps daily)... had an instructor tell me "if you aren't having fun, you might not belong here". Pretty much crushed my spirit to have a fleet experienced aviator tell me that (damned miserable E-2 turd). When I lost sight going over the top in T-2 formation aerobatics... it really spooked me to contemplate taking out 3 other folks due to my own ineptitude (contemplated throwing in the towel again).

By the end of A-4s, I pretty much hated every one of the instructors. Thought to myself, do I really want to be part of this group for the next 8 years?

Single engine on rotation on my third flight in the Tomcat (4 hours total in the bird)... three more in the FRS (around 100 hours)... Thought to myself, after the last one, again loathing the instructors, is flying kick ass (when they work) terrabledactles worth dying over?

Sucked in my first few months in my fleet squadron... felt like the entire CVW watched me land... then the lightbulb came on.

Started having fun, and had fun for the next 3500 hours.

Bottom line: Im glad I was tough through the rough spots.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I had at least five classmates DOR throughout flight school. Four of them regret it, because they're pretty miserable being SWOs, or in one case, working as a bartender. (He was sent straight to the reserves). The fifth is happy, but only because she truly did not like to fly (she was the top stud in our class until she DOR'ed).
My point: Flying for a living is one of the most rewarding and fun things you could possibly do. Don't let your friend make an uninformed decision he'll regret later.
Is she a PAO in DC now? Sounds like a friend of mine in API...

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, she's air force, I think she's getting a grad degree at Ole Miss now. She joined the air force to be a dietitian, and got wso instead.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I got that... I was just blown away by the fact that someone desiring to be a dietitian would instead be told to be a WSO...

magnetfreezer

Yeah, I got that... I was just blown away by the fact that someone desiring to be a dietitian would instead be told to be a WSO...

Had a few number of people DOR in API or early in Primary; with the constant AF manning level thrash, OTS is the safety valve in the system since the other commissioning sources are projected 4 years in advance. Someone who wants logistics, OSI, comm, etc often won't be able to get an OTS slot from the non-rated boards and be convinced by their recruiter that they really want nav/ABM (which are available through OTS since all the 4-year kids who joined and got NPQed, etc are now taking the non-rated spots). When they experience the difficulty of flight school and don't really want to be there in the first place, they often DOR to attempt to be redesignated.