• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Friend in Need

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
I normally don't post on here but I'm not sure what to do with a fellow SNFO. For the past several weeks my best friend down here has been really discouraged and talking about quitting. The guy is by far #1 in our class and really wanted P-3s but after talking to some less than thrilled P3 pilots/FOs along with the drag of flight school/instruments its gotten worst. Tonight after our first instrument flight his wife called me worried he was on the edge of DORing. I am 100% for doing the the thing you love and if your not happy finding something else and I understand this career is not for everyone. Is there anything I might tell him/encourage/pass on to him to help or any of your friends that went through this beyond the normal "this sucks I don't really like it." I honestly think its the training command getting to him but if he is really unhappy and thinks he will hate it I want him to do what makes him happy. Just don't want to see a possible great NFO make a premature bad decision and I wouldn't be asking for advice here if I thought he wasn't serious. Thanks.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
What is it he wants out of being an NFO? Why do P-3s (or platform du jour) not allow this?

FastMover

NFO
None
Probably the best thing you can do is just listen and be supportive of him. The part of training you guys are in is pretty dynamic and challenging and will test the nerves of everyone in your class at some point. Just make sure that he doesn't make any hasty decisions about DORing because he's feeling down. The TRACOM doesn't last forever! Good luck dude.

81montedriver

pilot
Probably the best thing you can do is just listen and be supportive of him. The part of training you guys are in is pretty dynamic and challenging and will test the nerves of everyone in your class at some point. Just make sure that he doesn't make any hasty decisions about DORing because he's feeling down. The TRACOM doesn't last forever! Good luck dude.

Great takeaway. Although the fleet is busier, you are doing real world flying and having a blast. Gone are the long nights of studying and showing up prior to a brief with a system drawn on a whiteboard.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
VT-10, at least when I was there, can be kinda shitty for studs. I would tell him to stick it out and wait for either VP-30 or VT-86. VP-30, I've heard, is a lot more fun than -10, and -86, at least for me, was more rewarding and had a better attitude towards studs.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait a minute...that goes away? :)

In the FLEET, you start briefing tactics, EP, etc as part of the crew brief. This may take a little per-flight planning, but it's nothing like TRACOM.

-ea6bflyr ;)

KBayDog

In the FLEET, you start briefing tactics, EP, etc as part of the crew brief. This may take a little per-flight planning, but it's nothing like TRACOM.

-ea6bflyr ;)

But, unlike the TRACOM, in the Fleet you have a "day" job that makes for long hours; numerous collateral duties (can you say "CFC," "voting," "SACO," etc.?); real SDO/CDO duties; ODO; weekends to catch up on your day job (that you had to put on the back burner due to crew rest/crew day during the week); weekend duties or FCFs; weeks away for dets; months away for workups; months/years away for deployments; PME; administrative requirements for your Marines/Sailors (awards, performance evaluations, etc.); investigations; PFTs/PRTs/CFTs; rifle/pistol ranges; safety stand-downs; etc, etc, etc....and that's all in addition to studying/prepping for qual and mission upgrades (you know, the flying part of your job).

In other words, while the studying in the TRACOM is intense, it is the only time in your career when your sole job is to show up ready for a brief and to be prepared to fly. In fact, it is all the taxpayers are paying you to do. Study, brief, fly, debrief...wash, rinse, repeat. It's intense, yes, but it doesn't get any easier from the world of Orange and White.

If the "friend" of the OP is getting discouraged, it is time for a gut-check. Tell him to talk to friends, Fleet Aviators/NFOs (both inside and outside his chain of command), etc. and get a feel for if it is something he wants to continue with for the next decade or longer of his life. Realize that flight school isn't the Fleet, but also realize that the Fleet isn't "easier" - it's a much different sort of intensity. But, like monte said, all of those long hours of flight school and the Fleet pay off with real-world missions. The feeling of accomplishment - both earning Wings, and hoisting a beer with your squadronmates at the Club after a successful mission or deployment - is one that simply cannot be matched. While the work is tough, and there's plenty of BS along the way, it's a very rewarding endeavor.

If it's something he wants to do, cool - keep pressing. If not, it's better to make that decision now, when all that is at stake is maybe a re-designation (or separation from the Navy).

After all, it's not all Choker Whites and... :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never udnerstood the idea of DOR'ing because you don't like the platform you got.

No matter how much your plane/community may suck, it's way the hell better than any of the alternatives.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had an SNFO DOR over a woman. He's now a SWO and the girl thing didn't work out.

-ea6bflyr ;)

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had at least five classmates DOR throughout flight school. Four of them regret it, because they're pretty miserable being SWOs, or in one case, working as a bartender. (He was sent straight to the reserves). The fifth is happy, but only because she truly did not like to fly (she was the top stud in our class until she DOR'ed).
My point: Flying for a living is one of the most rewarding and fun things you could possibly do. Don't let your friend make an uninformed decision he'll regret later.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey VMI, if your buddy wants to, I'd be more than willing to speak with him over the phone (I'm a P-3 NFO who left the squadron in May). I feel bad that your friend spoke to "not so thrilled" P-3 folks. Sure, sometimes it sucked on deployments, long flights, dick head O-4s, yada, yada. But man, the friends I made in the wardroom and the experiences we shared "off duty" could never be replaced. Anyways, I'm on shore duty now in beautiful San Diego and it doesnt get any better. Have your friend give me a shout sometime and I'll give another POV.