• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Free time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kulderas

For all of those currently already commissioned...what is the military life like? What is the "average day" as a military officer? Is it anything at all like a normal civilian 9-5 job? What kind of free time do you have?

Also, for those that are contemplating on joining the military or those that have already made that decision, what made you decide to finally do it? I have been weighing the pro's and con's for the last 6 months and as soon as I think I have made up my decision on trying to join, the huge commitment and moving away from friends and family for a long time keeps me shying away. How did you guys rationalize all of this?

Thanks in advance all.

Josh

signud

Final Select SNA
Josh: I can't answer the question regarding the typical day of a military officer because I'm not one, but if the powers-that-be give me the opportunity to go to OCS I can guarantee you I will be giving it my all to get through and graduate.

As for me, I was faced with the same decision criteria. How do I justify leaving everything behind, friends, family, a great job? Well my decision came down to this, what do I want to do with my life and how may I best use the tools that God gave me? My whole life I have loved my country and I have loved the military, but I have also love my family and friends. However, my dream is to fly and fight for my country and I know if given the chance to pursue my dream that the advantages will outweigh the disadvantages. As long as that is the case you can make and carry out that decision in confidence. If you are hesitant to leave everything behind to follow a dream then maybe that dream isn't as important to you as you once thought.

That's the real test of following your dream, are you willing to sacrifice everything, and it's up to you to measure how much of a dream being a Naval officer is to you. With great risks come great rewards! For me it means everything, but then again my patriotism for my country knows no bounds and I rather take a 50% pay cut to serve my country than to make tons of money serving corporate America, but that's where my heart is. Find out where your's is and you'll have your answer. Besides, I think the more you have to sacrifice to achieve a goal the more likely you are to achieve it. Your drive for success is powered by the knowledge that you gave so much up to get there. I hope that helps, bud.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
If you think that this is a 9-5 job, you are mistaken. My day is pretty long. For example, in flight school, your average day runs from around 7-4. It seems pretty normal but then you have to figure in study time with that. If I don't have an exam pending, I have about one day a week to relax if I am lucky. The rest of my free time is trying to get whatever PT I can get in for the day. It's hectic. Guys who are already in the fleet can probably speak to what it's like post wings but I imagine that it's not club med. Hope this helps.
--Goplay

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
If you think that this is a 9-5 job, you are mistaken. My day is pretty long. For example, in flight school, your average day runs from around 7-4. It seems pretty normal but then you have to figure in study time with that. If I don't have an exam pending, I have about one day a week to relax if I am lucky. The rest of my free time is trying to get whatever PT I can get in for the day. It's hectic. Guys who are already in the fleet can probably speak to what it's like post wings but I imagine that it's not club med. Hope this helps.
--Goplay

Status
Not open for further replies.