• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"FRANK TALK" from Brownell's -- MAR 2009

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Frank Talk about Guns ... MAR 2009

This issue goes into current and potential shortages, potential bans, and what you might want consider in order to be proactive.

brownells.jpg

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Brownells said:
Purchase a .22 conversion. Most firearms and calibers in the market today have a .22 conversion available. The two most obvious benefits are the greater availability of rimfire ammunition and the much lower cost of shooting rimfire ammunition compared to shooting centerfire ammo. If you can't find the ammo you are looking for, seriously consider purchasing a .22 LR conversion. They are very fun to shoot and may be the only way to find ammunition in your area.

This is not applicable in the greater Jax area. .22LR is just as hard to find as .45ACP, but not as tough as .38SPL.:icon_rage

Spent wayyy too much, gathered a small cache, but not enough to hold off the zombies. I need a gun show like nobody's business. . .

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Good gouge indeed.

Years ago, just prior to 94, I bought a bunch of stuff for a rainy day...mags, primers, powder. My biggest regret was in not buying more Match HBARS when they were $550 each or 500 round lots of ammo when they were $75.50 each.

As I would use some of the same, I would replace it in kind. Just ran across a deal in Reno where I bought another 33,000 primers, a BUNCH of powder and another Dillon reloader for pennies on the dollar. Primer and powder seem to be in very short supply. Brass....I work with some folks who like liquor and they shoot a lot on .gov time.

Bevo16

pilot
About a month ago, I was having hell finding any handgun ammo. I went to 4 different stores only to find NOTHING in either 9mm or .45. I managed to locate some Blazer 9mm and overpaid for a couple hundred rounds of that. Then I lucked into a fresh shipment of Winchester .45 for $30/100. I picked up enough boxes that the Wal-Mart cashier asked me "You want how many boxes?"..."Yes...that many.""

A few weeks later, I had to go to a funeral out in the boonies in West Tenn, and there was a store off the beaten path that I stopped in on the way home. They had Winchester 9mm for $20/100. They don't have any 9mm left, but better them to have that problem than me.

utak

My Daniel Defense Omega rail came in. It's a free floating, drop in forward picatanny rail system with easy installation. Literally just take out the regular handguards pop this in, adjust some screws, and that's it. The one I got just came out, it's specifically designed for piston ARs like LWRC and POF, as well as piston-retrofits.

And no permanent modification to the weapon. Which enables me to switch handguards from traditional M4 style to tactical-style, whatever the situation calls for.

Now I need a foregrip and some rail covers . . . and an Aimpoint Micro . . .

FLY_USMC

pilot
I have a Midwest Industries Free Floating Picatinny Rail on one of my AR's....I love it. I took my dremel moto-tool to the aluminum slip ring and about 5 minutes of careful grooves and a well-placed screw-driver and it popped right off....no need to remove the barrel. Fit was great....threw on a set of Knight's Armament Rail's just like my M-4 here and I was quite happy.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I'm doin' alright, not up to the quantities I want, as far as ammo goes. Irritated at the backorder time waiting for my AR lower, and other parts to arrive. Pretty well set with powder and primers.

I ordered 2 lowers from gunbroker.com, amazed that they 1. had them so cheap, and 2. that they will ship in June. I farked up the order though and should have read a little more closely. I paid 20bucks shipping each! (dumbass).

Good gouge wrt conversion kits. I like things that are interchangable and have multiple uses.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
He hit the nail on the head with reloading. It's not that hard to find components around here to reload with, so I have a full supply of ammo just calling my name to shoot :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
He hit the nail on the head with reloading. It's not that hard to find components around here to reload with, so I have a full supply of ammo just calling my name to shoot :)

Well hell, I'll try to find time in my crazy workup schedule for YOU to teach me how to shoot. I know YOU guys have the time on your hands:D;)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Well hell, I'll try to find time in my crazy workup schedule for YOU to teach me how to shoot. I know YOU guys have the time on your hands:D;)

Who, us??? We're busy as hell, the fact that we're never in the squadron should be proof enough! :D