• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Francis Gary Powers awarded Silver Star.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
When I was a young'un, I can recall overhearing conversations about this gary powers guy and how he should have used the cyanide. [This of course being at least 3 decades after the incident.]

I guess I never really considered what it meant to be that guy until now. I figure, and this is just me figurin', you don't take the green pill unless you don't trust yourself to not leak classified information. Since he obviously could take what the russkies handed out, he shouldn't have to take the pill, right?

In my humble opinion, Powers earned at least the Silver Star ...and he should have been decorated earlier!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Powers' U2 shoot-down incident was beyond huge, and extremely embarrassing for us in the international news!

As a casual observer at the time, I felt that a scapegoat was needed to deflect all the criticism, and Powers was it. I always felt sorry for the man. His supposed suicide-upon-capture was his option, not a direct order. I think most of us would have not done it. I also believe his failure to not destroy classified equipment was also not his fault, and he was unable.

He was picked for these missions because he was a top-performer. And my personal belief is that he continued to perform, did his duty above and beyond, and deserved recognition instead of the grief and ridicule he endured. A Silver Star long after he died, and in comparison to his prior missions and POW experience is weak and long overdue consolation, I think.

I am also reminded of Capt. Bucher of the Pueblo incident. (But that's on another thread.)