• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FPO Mail

phrogpilot73

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes mail to reach a ship deployed in to the Med or Gulf? Thanks!
Truth be told, it depends. It depends on when their last/next mail hit was. It depends on if the bag that it's in is in that mail hit. I've had some mail make it to me in 7-10 days, and others take months. There are really too many variables to predict...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
My best was a couple days and my worst (waiting for a laptop to be delivered) was two months...after I transferred off the ship.

MasterBates

There is still a box of Peanut Butter & Hershy Kiss cookies lost somewhere in a COD that never got to me...

That or my no-good-SWO roomates knew what my mom was sending (they came every other mail hit or so) and stole them.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any idea how long it takes mail to reach a ship deployed in to the Med or Gulf? Thanks!

Being a prior COD crewman I have a pretty good understanding of how the mail gets there and a rough timeline. If the ship is already established in the gulf and not still in transit, it should be between 10-15 days. However, if the boat is in transit, it could be a month or even longer. When a boat is in transit, the CODs island hop, working out of major military or civilian airports closest to the ships area of operation. When this occurs, COD dets sometimes work out of a given airport for a week or even less before moving on to the next airport, following the ship. It is typical for mail to get back logged when this happens.

The COD det receives the mail from the U.S. from Air Force transport planes and VR squadrons. At any given airport that the CODs are working out of, there may be as much as 50,000 lbs of cargo and mail that needs to get to the boat. The mail usually takes a long time to reach the boat since the mail is the lowest priority on COD flights.

Priority levels:

#1. VIP / DV passengers / Registered Mail
#2. High priority / confidential aircraft and ship parts
#3. other passengers (with different levels of priority among them)
#4. Low priority cargo
#5. Mail

All of the mail that doesn't make it to the boat from one det location is simply packed up and flown to the next COD det location via Air Force of VR flight. Mail may be transported to 3 or more airports before even being considered for delivery to the boat. So, that is why mail takes so long sometimes...

Advice from a former COD crewman to those who may be using the mail system at sea:

#1. Instruct the sender to send the mail (if a package) in a STRONG box, tape it, double tape it, then triple tape it!

#2. Instruct the sender to always write the recipients name / division / squadron information on the actual box. DO NOT tape a peice of paper to the box containing that information as it often becomes separated from the box, leaving the COD guys no choice but to leave it behind on the beach.

#3. Instruct the sender to NEVER write "Fragile" or This Side Up" on the box as it will likely only draw special negative attention from someone having a bad day. Most guys don't beat up the boxes on purpose, but I've seen some assholes who do. Also, keep in mind that COD crewman and the flight deck crew helping only have about 15 minutes to download up to 10,000 lbs of mail and cargo before having to reload and make the next launch. We try to be careful, but realistically we cannot walk every package from the front of the plane to the back of the plane. Pack good!

#4. And last and most importantly. If you are expecting an important package, have the sender send it "Registered Mail". Registered mail is pretty expensive, but your package will get to you in good condition, and quick. Registered mail must be on the first flight to the boat once received. Registed mail is signed for every step of the way from the moment it leaves the senders hands, to the U.S. Post Office, to the Air Force Flights / VR squadrons, to the Navy Post Office, to the PC's on shore, to the COD crewman, to the PC's on the boat, and finally to the recipient. The last person to sign for a piece of lost registered mail is subject to stiff fines and jail time. Everyone who signs for registered mail is told to keep their copy for 2 years for their protection. Everyone takes it seriously. Plus, it can be insured for up to $25,000.

Thats all I got, hope it helps someone!

-Ken

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a COD guy myself, I elevate the mail priority whenever possible.

I was deployed last Christmas and had no problem bumping low pri cargo off a flight to get more mail (presents) to the boat on time. Ken is right about the priorities above, but a COD guy takes a lot of pride in delivering as much mail to the guys on the ship as we can & will use our authority to take care of those underway whenever possible.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Best? 5 days. Worst? 4 months... the PCs somehow sent mail bound for Jebel Ali to... Norfolk... for a month... where it sat in a warehouse for 3 months.

Other variables include optempo, frequency of port visits, availability of helos for smallboys, etc. etc. Usually though, if someone is asking this question, the package isn't going to get there "in time."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-mail can take milli-seconds.

In the old days...with the C-2 delivering all our mail, it could take many many weeks.

Now the supply lines are in pretty good shape. The mail gets to the AOR in a week or so, from there the time to the ship or unit depends on where it is operating and helo/C-2 hit availability.

I'd say Med ships...when they pull into port within the next 3 or 4 days.
Gulf will get mail that could have been mailed from NYC within a week, no more than two weeks.