• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foundation Preps?

N

NmmIUsnA

I am just trying to get in touch with any other people that are USNA Foundation Preps this year (05-06) for the class of 2010. I am at the New Mexico Military Institute with about 15 other USNA Preps and about 50 Preps for other various academies. I would love to hear from other Preps around the country and find out how you guys are all doing. Let us know . . .

Also, for anyone considering the Academy . . .
If you are looking into the US Naval Academy or any Academy for that matter and things are not looking good in terms of getting in, I reccomend asking about the Prep Program. It is a program where they will send you to a "Prep School" for one year (they will help pay for it if you qualify) and there you can focus on getting your grades up as well as getting physicaly ready. The USNA offers both civilian schools and military schools such as this one. Feel free to ask any questions!

Beat Army!
Duffey

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey, I'm going to The Peddie School in New Jersey this fall, with 2 other girls, one of which I've talked to, and she seems really nice.

And to clarify further upon what you said, you have to be selected for Foundation, but enthusiasm helps alot. Also, it should be noted that you are affilitated with the Naval Academy for a year; as it was phrased, it's our "appointment to lose," meaning you'll get in if you don't mess up. The only thing really worrying me is getting my congresswoman to give me another nomination and hoping that I can keep my grades up, (calc and honors chem... argh), and sports at my school has a big emphasis.

usunkmybship

And if you do get selected for a year at prep school you still need to qualify for the full tuition scholarship. One girl in my platoon attended last year but she didn't get financial aid and had to pay the full $30,000.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
In addition to Foundation, USNA also send people to their prep school in RI... both are good deals if you really want to go to USNA and maybe don't have the grade/athletics to go straight in.

I was offered a foundation scolarship and an appointment to NAPS (NAval Academy Prep School) I opted for NAPS for personal reasons. Both programs are great for getting you ready for USNA. All depends on what you need for yourself which is better.

BTW Dan, Peddie's a great school. If you wrestle, I highly suggest you do so ther. One of the two best programs in NJ.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Im a NAPS grad. They are all a pretty good deal if you want USNA. Just bust your ass at prep school and you are in. The cool thing with NAPS is
a.) it is free
b.) they pay you about 700 bucks a month to go there as a non-prior
Just remeber that it isn't a done deal until you get your appointment to the academy, so stay on top of your grades. Good luck and enjoy this next year, you will miss it when you are a plebe!

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
TheBubba said:
BTW Dan, Peddie's a great school. If you wrestle, I highly suggest you do so ther. One of the two best programs in NJ.

Nah, unfortuneately, I don't wrestle, but I will be playing sports... I was a decent swimmer in high school, but I realized that their team was WAY too competitive and good for me. I wish I had more time to look at schools to choose, but because of the way it's offered so suddenly, there really isn't too much time to look. Regardless, I'm excited to get started soon, and bust my ass till I get that appointment. Still a little worried about calc though. :(

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Don't worry about calc... the best way to get through calc is not to sleep through class... (chalk that one up to experience)

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Just to update on previous posts, all of the Naval PGs here seem to be doing well. The two girls I'm with are really nice and we're all busy with classes, sports, meetings, etc. etc. The faculty kind of knows who we are and some have even approached us and gave their best. It seems like we're getting a little bit more respect, or at least a different type of attitude from the faculty as soon as they find out we're here for Navy, which has definitely surprised me... I thought the school would be alot more liberal and non-supportive of the military, but that certainly hasn't been the case so far.

There's definitely reasons why Navy has picked this school... the academic and honor system here is pretty straightforward and unforgiving (as it seems to me so far), there's mando study, obligations (anything from a watch-standing deal to waitering tables for family style dinners), and athletics are huge and the academics are challenging no doubt about it.

But I'm loving it so far. Hope all of you others are doing well too. See you (hopefully!) in June!