• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Found myself in limbo. Advice desired.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Sirs and Ma'ams,

I find myself in quite a predicament concerning my Navy career. I will be omitting some specifics about my medical history and certain events for privacy reasons.

A couple months ago, I came down with a medical condition that required me to be removed from my boat for an extended period of time. The condition in and of its self was both submarine and nuclear field disqualifying, but not permanently. The Navy referred me out to a civilian doctor out in town for treatment. During the course of the treatment, I was prescribed a medication by said civilian doctor that I took for roughly a month and a half before seeing the UMO for a scheduled appointment. After glancing over my medical record, he asked me if I had really been taking XXXXX for a month and a half, and of course I said yes. He rushed out of the room, picked up the phone, and the yelling commenced. It turns out, taking XXXXX for greater than 30 days is permanently disqualifying for both submarines and nuclear field duty, and is non-waiverable. The medical condition has been resolved and I am otherwise fit for full duty in all regards.

I now have a couple options:

1) I can be force converted to any other CREO group 1 rating that will take me, which pretty much means anything CT. This will require me to reenlist for minimum tour requirements up front before I can be cut orders to an A school.

2) I can request Early Separation in Lieu of Forced Conversion IAW MILPERSMAN 1910. I applied to multiple schools as a contingency when I found out I was permanently de-nuked, and have been accepted to all but one of them. I'm a little fuzzy as to all the details here, mainly because my CCC doesn't know anything, and the JAG is never around. I tried talking to the LN's, but they know next to nothing about how to handle a nuke who's lost his NEC getting out of the navy. I can't even get a clear answer on what type of discharge it would be let alone what type of RE code I would get.

My goal in life is still to earn a commission in the Navy, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed. With my degree almost 1/3 of the way complete thanks to a lot of work on my part over the past year, my first thought is that getting out, going to college and then applying to OCS that way. But then I start to wonder if taking the voluntary separation will prevent me from ever getting selected for a commission. Choosing to stay in and reenlist for a job that I may or may not be any good at or enjoy seems very risky and would take a lot longer to finish my degree, but also has benefits to it.

My preference would be to take the discharge and my GI Bill, and go finish my degree and then apply to OCS, but again, I don't know the far reaching effects of doing so on my ability to ever be selected for a commission in any branch, let alone the Navy. Nobody here on base seems to know where to start to find the right answers, and most of them don't care. I am in this situation because I followed a civilian doctors orders.

As an afterthought, I do understand that STA-21 is still an option. My concern there is that depending on which Crypto rate I choose, it could be years before I'm in a position to put in a strong package. (Between A-school, any C-school, qualifying in my new community, etc. )

Any guidance that the members of this board can provide is deeply appreciated.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I don't know how old you are or how much time you have under your belt since your bio is so colorful, but if you're a nuke and you have all of your GI Bill benefits, your preference for school sounds reasonable.
I'd be wary of making a NEC/career choice based on what the Navy needs. You probably know you have to like what you're doing (at least some of the time). When you re-train to another rating, that's going to forestall any off-duty college and that you'd spend 18 months learning a new rating. It's doable that you can complete your degree in the same period.
I haven't sat on a OCS selection board, but I haven't heard of anyone being negatively viewed because they got out to go to school.
Good luck.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Updated my profile a little bit for you. I'm 23, with three years and change of service. Squeaky Clean service record. All indications are that I will retain all my educational benefits if I get out.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Be careful with the get out and the get back in thing. Look at the enterance standards first. They are vastly different than the retention standards and trying to get back in with whatever it is may be a huge headache. Not necessarily impossible, but by now you know that the wavier process is not an easy one.

But also, ditto to the above. You have a lot to consider and I dont envy your position.

Good luck

Tomodachi

pilot
Hey man I would consider staying in the Navy. You are a 1/3 of the way to completion of your Bachelors.... still young at 23 years of age... plenty of time to finish your degree while still serving in the Navy. I would stay in because you are still working towards your retirement, and who knows what will happen if you get out.

MA2

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Yeah you will end up working a job you may not necessarily want to be in for a few years, but if you want 20 years ultimately, a commission, then getting your degree while working towards retirement may be your best choice, assuming the job you get isn't one that in which you'd end up being miserable. Happiness comes first of course, but it's just balancing long-term vs short-term. In your shoes, can't say it'd be an easy decision.

Getting back in, especially as an officer, is very different than staying in as enlisted. Standards for OCS are different. Something else could come up in a few years that are not currently an issue. You can never predict the future.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Thanks for the insight everybody. I've got two weeks of leave coming up here in the middle of November. Hopefully I can make a decision by then.