• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FORMS 3, 4 & 5!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Attention, Attention.

We just received our new ASTB tests and you can only take the new tests 3 times total. Previous tests under the old ASTB (forms 1 & 2) aren't counted in the 3 times lifetime testing limit. SO...make sure you study and pass the test within the your 3 tries. With that, you will only be allowed to take each test form once (No repeats!).

The time limits between tests have also changed: 31 days between the first and second test, and then 91 days between second and third (& final) test.

Good luck to all those who are pursuing aviation!

(If this has already been posted, I appologize....I have been gone for a month!)

ea6bflyr

Form 3, Booklet 1

I just took the ASTB Form 3, Booklet 1 about an hour ago. This was my first time taking the ASTB, so I didn't have the luxuary of knowing the old version. Or having unlimited tries to take it.

I didn't study as much as I wanted to, especially beefing up on my simple algebra and mathematics. I pretty much ran out of time on the Math section. And oh by the way, there are six sections: Math, Reading Comprehension, Spacial Apperception, Mechanical, Nautical and Aviation Information, and Supplemental Aviation Information. There is no bio section; you fill out a little bit about yourself before the test starts. Everything is what it seems to be and the last section is a combination of 34 questions drawing from all the previous five sections.

As to specific questions, the packet listed online here at Airwarriors was pretty helpful. The ARCO book, although apparently outdated, did help me a little bit in some of the aviation and nautical terms, rules of the road, and a few mechanical and math questions. I did not go through the entire book, and only studied a few hours from it prior to taking the test. In general, I studied on and off over the summer, and hit it hard about four days before the test (mostly because that's when I found out when it was scheduled for).

I wouldn't say the Math section is hard - it's actually pretty easy math - but it goes fast. And if you don't remember some basic formulas (like me), it gets a little hairy. This all depends on which form you have as well. I can't think specifically of any problems right now, but studying the packet should help. Go over simple algebric equations and formulas too. Know the area of a triangle is 1/2b*h.

The Reading Comprehension section was a breeze for me. I used maybe half the time. It's all little paragraphs (no more than about five sentences) you have to read and then pick the truest statement below with the information provided. WITH THE INFORMATION PROVIDED. That's key, because some things will be true, but only because you know it beforehand, not because the paragraph states it. Only pick the answer that can reasonably be inferred with the given information. There is no vocab section.

The Spacial Apperception section wasn't as hard as everyone made it out to be. I was a little tight on time, but not too bad. Some of the pictures weren't very good quality, and I had a hard time determining whether the plane was going parallel with the coast or heading into land. A steep climb/dive is pretty apparent, the banks a little less so. The ARCO book has a good SA test; I recommend taking it. Be careful of the yawed views too. The land is pretty much diagnol across the views, so picking the right answer was a little harder. I don't know how I did, but I think I did fine.

Mechanical was pretty much common sense. The Airwarriors packet is good in this respect; the ARCO book also helped a lot. I have never had physics, so I didn't know some of the basic formulas, but if you think about it, they're all common sense. They like forces questions, pulleys, voltage and current and resistor questions, weights too. I took Naval Engineering my first year in college, but I didn't remember much of it. That stuff helps.

Nautical and Aviation Information was a piece of cake, minus two or three I had no clue on. Know the rules of the road (overtaking airplanes pass on left; two heading at each other both turn right), colors (red=port, green=starboard), runway systems (blue lights on runway at night, numbering system is by direction [North=360 numbered 36 on runway, South=180 or 18, East=90 or 9, West=270 or 27), what different parts of the plane control (elevator controls altitude, rudder controls pitch, aileron controls roll or bank), boat knowledge (parts of the boat, nautical terms for different areas [port, starboard, conning tower, bulkhead, bow and stern, fore and aft, definition of draft]), and general navy knowledge. I actually had the question, "When was the Navy founded?" 1942. Definitely.

The Supplementary part was a mix of all the previous five parts. I had a lot of Reading Comprehension. It was only 34 questions, even though there was space for 50. I think they just want to see how you do with a mix of questions instead of a block of the same type.

That's all I've got for now. Hope it helps. It's the latest (like I said, I took it today) and greatest. I'll tell you how I did when I get it back. I'm kind of nervous about this three-time limit, but I do feel like I have room for improvement, especially on the Math section. Remember though, your most recent score is the one they take, regardless if your other scores are higher.

Fang

Dear MAD --

Just a quick note to correct some mistakes in your post, in case someone takes the info as written and misses questions on the ASTB ...

Blue lights are on airport TAXIWAYS, not runways.

Rudder controls YAW, not pitch.

Elevator controls PITCH.

Great post otherwise. I'm sure it will help others.

-- Fang

auto_engr

Any suggestions on how I can improve my general aviation/nautical knowledge? For example, I would not have known the date the Navy was founded. Is there a good single source of information that I can use to prepare? I know I can lick the math/verbal/mechanical/spatial, but I am worried about a low score in the nautical/aviation area, particularly concerning nautical terms and Navy history. :confused:

Cdyboy

ASTB Gouges

Good Looking Out Fang...

Auto Engr. here is some stuff I've found through out Airwarriors and should help with the Aviation & Nautical Part to the test.

Everyone Good Luck with the ASTB....

Attachments

• ASTB #2 Study Guide.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 730
  • ASTB Guide.doc
    27 KB · Views: 630
  • attachment.pdf
    474.9 KB · Views: 556

NFO No. 3

auto_engr said:
For example, I would not have known the date the Navy was founded.

i am sure MAD was kidding around but i want to clear it up for anyone who wouldnt neccesarily know this...the navy was founded 13 OCT 1775. i dont want anyone missing that on the ASTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.