• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

former Marine hopeing for commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

tflexxin

I am a former Sgt (6 years infantry) and I'm trying to get back into the corps as an officer. Gradutated with a BS in Information Systems. My local OSO said it will be dificult due to my age, 32, but I know it's waiverable. The only option he offers me is the air option, as ground is filled until 2004 for my area. I am concerned about making the cut at OCC. I am in terrific physical condition, my prior service was exemplory, and I would be fine with the air. Any idea what the board might think of my age vs my prior service? I know that I can run a 275 or higher PFT. Also, I'm a former college football player and I'm 6'1 and around 220, pretty much my bottoming out weight. I ran 6.5 minute miles at 250lbs when I was in before. Will they take that into consideration when looking at my packet? Are there any pilots out there or in training that can give me advice? The OSO says he has NEVER sent anyone over the age of 30 to OCC that actually made it through. I, however, know that I CAN make it. My desire to be back as an active member of the worlds finest fighting force is burning, and I would love to prove some people wrong. Any thought or comments?
Semper FI!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't have the answers that you are looking for with respect to your package, but there are lots of people on here that can help you answer them. But I wish you the best of luck, and go kick some butt and prove them wrong!

jet_ifr

tflexxin,

I was at OCC last summer (got NPQ'd, hernia) and there were 3 candidates that I knew of that were over the age of 30, the oldest being 32 (law option). Through the grapevine I heard that only one of 3 actually finished OCC b/c of injuries. The one that finished was a HORSE, the guy was 5'8" 200lbs. I was in my OSO's office when a prior Marine called in and was inquiring whether or not he'd be able to go to OCC, he was 28...my OSO said if he could run at least a 275 he'd consider his application. So if you can smoke the PFT, odds are good that you'd be able to go. Prove them wrong man! Good luck!

JT

I fly. Me pilot?

JF

As a 28 year old applicant, who will have just turned 29 if I get in for OCC-182, I find all this age talk disconcerting. I mean a good PFT is a good PFT no matter the age. Heck most people hit their physical peak in their late 20s-30s. The only issue I worry about at OCC is injuries and soreness but I think I'd face that even if I was a few years younger. As for tflexxin, if you can't make it I would think no one could make it! Prior service, outstanding PFT, college football player, I would think you'd be a standout. And for anyone who has played sports before you know you can get injured at any age no matter what the sport or physical condition. Also from everything I ve read and heard life in the fleet is physicallly demanding and I know they don't kick you out of the Corps once you hit 35!
I ve gotta belive that everything I ve read and heard is true. Preparation + good mental outlook = success at OCS. That is what I am going to try to follow.

JF

tflexxin,
Also when you say bottoming out at 220 does that mean you can't get any lower? If so I kind of face the same issue. I am 6'1 also so my max weight has to be 208. Tough to drop weight because of my frame. I am 209 so they needed to submit a body fat type photo. Pretty weird. Apparently this must be done if you are within 10 lbs of the max weight. Not a big deal if you don't have a big gut. My target weight is 190 before OCS just to avoid the issue when I get to Quantico. Also, i ve been told that the lighter you are the "easier" it is to negotiate obstacles and avoid under pressure on your joints. Being prior service though, you probably know this too, cause a Staff Sargeant told me!
Also I ve dropped 15 pounds since last year. Best formula run + no weight lifting (just edurance stuff like pushups, crunches etc) + pushaway (from the table that is).

tflexxin

thanks all for your comments. The FMF is NOT as physically demanding as OCC or TBS, particularily for air wingers, but as an Officer you should be expected to be in top physical and mental condition at all times. I personally would never let myself get out of shape, just to wear the uniform with pride and distinction, as I did before. I know the attrition rate is much higher for older candidates, but my body can take a beating, I know that. Hell, I played college football at the division II level, starting as a freshman at the age of 27! I never had one problem or injury related to my age. Are there any current or in training leathernecks that can provide me with some moe insight into training? thanks all.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I went to PLC Jr's and Sr's, where the average age was 20. I am prior enlisted (active) also and I was 26 when I went. Just comparing myself to the other candidates that was in my plt, I was in awesome shape but had a slightly longer recover time than the younger candidates. 4 years in the infantry has a lot of wear and tear on the body, but man, what a blast!
I'm guessing that the average age for your OCC class will be 24 or 25, just a guess though. The average PFT score (Initial PFT) when I went to Jr's was 235 or so. Some candidates were showing up running a 25-27 min 3-mile, which I thought was nasty. Those that didn't get sent home because of their low PFT score, had a hard time keeping up in the runs. If you can run a 275 you have nothing to worry about.
I remember hearing a saying somewhere....what was it.....hmmmm.....ahhhh yes..

YOU'RE ONLY AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

james

I am not much much of an expert, but as far as being late 20's or early 30's it shouldn't be a problem. In the October issue of the Marine Gazette Captain Treglia, the First Force Recon platoon commander, said the average age of his Marines was 28! It's difficult to find fitter Marines than them I'm sure. I would bet you OCS doesn't quite compare to the PT regimen of a Force platoon. Good luck and Semper Fi!

tflexxin

thanks, I feel much younger and look much younger as well. I think the key will be a high pft, as well as a high test score on the air test.

DevilDog

tflexxin, I'm also trying to get in as an officer, so I wanted to comment on the age thing. My SgtMaj looked like he was 50 but was actually 42 and he could out run most 22yr olds. I know because he almost beat me and my highest pft was 295. If you retire at age 46 or 47 you're still not that old. My boss here in the civilian world is an retired army officer and he's at least 50yrs old. He still runs everyday at a good pace. The only people who think people in their 30's are old are 20yr olds.

The only thing I'm worried about is OSO letting me submit my package, not age. Good luck, I hope you make it.

Originally posted by tflexxin
I am a former Sgt (6 years infantry) and I'm trying to get back into the corps as an officer. Gradutated with a BS in Information Systems. My local OSO said it will be dificult due to my age, 32, but I know it's waiverable. The only option he offers me is the air option, as ground is filled until 2004 for my area. I am concerned about making the cut at OCC. I am in terrific physical condition, my prior service was exemplory, and I would be fine with the air. Any idea what the board might think of my age vs my prior service? I know that I can run a 275 or higher PFT. Also, I'm a former college football player and I'm 6'1 and around 220, pretty much my bottoming out weight. I ran 6.5 minute miles at 250lbs when I was in before. Will they take that into consideration when looking at my packet? Are there any pilots out there or in training that can give me advice? The OSO says he has NEVER sent anyone over the age of 30 to OCC that actually made it through. I, however, know that I CAN make it. My desire to be back as an active member of the worlds finest fighting force is burning, and I would love to prove some people wrong. Any thought or comments?
Semper FI!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
[/quote] My SgtMaj looked like he was 50 but was actually 42 and he could out run most 22yr olds. [/quote]

I had to chuckle when I read this, because it's so true. I had a Sgt Maj (Woodruff)in 1/1 that was tall and skinny and looked older than dirt, but really suprised everyone on the BN runs. When he left we had a Force Recon Sgt Maj (Dever) check into the Bn, I won't even get into that....

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

JGalus

Okay, I have to tell my SgtMaj story. SgtMaj Hernandez was my Bn SgtMaj in 1/3 on my last pump. He was old Corps about 5'4" smoked like a diesel engine and drank like a fish, but he was up everyday at 05 running his *** off with a solid 1st class pft score. I even saw him wanting to fight an elephant in Pattaya, definately old Corps!

E5B - Are you talking about the same SgtMaj Dever that was on that TV show Special Operations?

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/combatmissions/

He seemed liked a screamer.

Jamie
BCDP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep, thats him. He also had a cameo roll in Clint Eastwoods "Heartbreak Ridge". He was the Marine hooking up the repelling rig to the guy who was about to repell down the "helo-tower". Yep, he was our Bn Sgt Maj from 96-98 and we did a pac with the 13th Meu.

Hard Dog! He used to be an instuctor at SERE school. He sure had some stories. I had to be the Bn Co's driver a couple of times because I had a HMMWV License and I picked the Sgt Maj's brain a little.

Yes, he has a voice that can carry, especially through a berthing area. WOW!!

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Lt_SNA_USMC

Speaking of Sgt Majs, when I went to Jrs (he was probably yours too E5B), the Bn Sgt Maj Glassford, remember? When he was presenting our platoon with the drill trophy (yes we were drill champs), a bird landed on his cover. Really. It just landed and the back of his cover. He was so hard core, he did not even acknowledge. He just kept on speaking and the stupid bird just sat there for like a full minute before it flew away. We finally started to lose our bearing and laugh a little and he got pissed. I thought it was pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.