• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former Marine Aviator Arrested on Suspicion of Providing Aid to China

CallumJohn

If he liked shitty Chinese food, he should have stayed in the US of A.

I bet it’ll be easy for him to overturn the charges. Unless he’s accused of passing classified info, it’s not apparent what he - as a non National - can be charged with. Only thing I can think of is something related to the post-1989 weapons embargo. Being an unprincipled douche is not a crime, unfortunately.
Nah, considering the U.S.'s past with leaking info, even just supporting the leaking of info could get you indicted and thrown in prison. (E.G. Julian Assange)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he liked shitty Chinese food, he should have stayed in the US of A.

I bet it’ll be easy for him to overturn the charges. Unless he’s accused of passing classified info, it’s not apparent what he - as a non National - can be charged with. Only thing I can think of is something related to the post-1989 weapons embargo. Being an unprincipled douche is not a crime, unfortunately.
Its not like you have to be a US citizen to be arrested for any number of crimes related to espionage.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its not like you have to be a US citizen to be arrested for any number of crimes related to espionage.
I don't know any of the particulars here, but it would be a lot harder to prove an espionage case when what you're passing along to the Chinese is classified knowledges, vice a classified document.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
What Brett said. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out, but this seems more complex than he taught Chinese pilots so he’s obvi doing treason and giving up all the secrets. Bet it’s more focused on some technicality.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What Brett said. It’ll be interesting to see what comes out, but this seems more complex than he taught Chinese pilots so he’s obvi doing treason and giving up all the secrets. Bet it’s more focused on some technicality.

He could have violated some sanctions and we go after non-citizens for that. Meng Wanzhou, the founder of Huawei's daughter and its CFO, was charged by the US for violating US sanctions against Iran because the transactions went through the US banking system at some point. We have a pretty expansive reach when it comes to being able to charge folks who are not US citizens or are not even in the US for violating US laws, just ask folks from Viktor Bout to the FIFA board members about that.

One thing that I keep coming back to, the fact that this guy gave up his American citizenship. I don't have much issue with folks who give up their American citizenship for whatever reason but a former US servicemember who does so, especially an officer, piques my interest. It wasn't necessary as Australia doesn't require giving up others citizenships to become an Aussie citizen, and he didn't join the RAAF which would be a good reason. So why give it up? Money has become a big reason lately, income reporting requirements for US citizens who earn income or have accounts overseas have become stricter and more onerous in the last decade or so even if they don't reside in the US. So if that is the reason you have to wonder if someone is willing to give up their citizenship to save money what else would they be willing to do for some $, or ¥ in this case?

Last edited:

Dboom85

Banned

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Oops.

PMPT

Yeah, pretty sure you don't have to give up US citizenship to become an Aussie one unless you want to serve in their military and even then there are exceptions.
its probably for more practical reasons. if you live abroad, you still have to file a us tax return etc and it gets a bit complicated with tax treaties etc etc. the US is more or less the only country that expects a tax return and potential tax payment from citizens living and working abroad. personally, i think its a bit of a bullshit system and we should get our fangs out of people, but that's just me. this chap wouldn't be the first I've heard to find the system so onerous that they thought renunciation was the best option (especially if you live abroad and basically dont even intend to return to the US).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
its probably for more practical reasons. if you live abroad, you still have to file a us tax return etc and it gets a bit complicated with tax treaties etc etc. the US is more or less the only country that expects a tax return and potential tax payment from citizens living and working abroad. personally, i think its a bit of a bullshit system and we should get our fangs out of people, but that's just me. this chap wouldn't be the first I've heard to find the system so onerous that they thought renunciation was the best option (especially if you live abroad and basically dont even intend to return to the US).

I am well aware of our country's unique tax code, requiring folks to file no matter where they live. The requirements aren't that 'onerous', unless one finds filing taxes in itself onerous, and I actually have first-hand experience with some of the requirements since my wife still has foreign bank accounts and we have to file with IRS to account for them. Frankly I prefer our system to the other one, as we don't have the same 'tax exile' problem here (except Puerto Rico) that almost everywhere else has in which the well-to-do to skip out on taxes by merely spending X days outside the country.

But I addressed what I thought were the guy's possible motivations for renouncing his citizenship in my original post, and stand by my wariness that a former officer in the military would be so ready to give up his citizenship for possible monetary or other reasons. Given his apparent greed in willing to sell out his former country I think my wariness is plenty justified.

PMPT

i also have experience. i personally find it just a ridiculous overreach of a supposedly liberty-loving nation free from excessive governmental interference, but reasonable people can and will disagree about this.

naturally, none of that changes the fact he's providing training to people that might or will try to kill his countrymen and brothers in arms. illegal? possibly not. immoral? certainly, in my eyes at least.

number9

Contributor
I am well aware of our country's unique tax code, requiring folks to file no matter where they live. The requirements aren't that 'onerous', unless one finds filing taxes in itself onerous, and I actually have first-hand experience with some of the requirements since my wife still has foreign bank accounts and we have to file with IRS to account for them. Frankly I prefer our system to the other one, as we don't have the same 'tax exile' problem here (except Puerto Rico) that almost everywhere else has in which the well-to-do to skip out on taxes by merely spending X days outside the country.
When the only other country who does this kind of taxation is Eritrea, you have to ask yourself: did everyone else get this decision wrong, or did we?

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
When the only other country who does this kind of taxation is Eritrea, you have to ask yourself: did everyone else get this decision wrong, or did we?
Pay taxes and get access to the perks of being a US citizen while living over seas. Don’t want to pay those taxes, you can give up your passport and hope your new country cares about helping you out of tough situations as much as we generally do.

It’s pretty simple and fair.

number9

Contributor
Pay taxes and get access to the perks of being a US citizen while living over seas. Don’t want to pay those taxes, you can give up your passport and hope your new country cares about helping you out of tough situations as much as we generally do.

It’s pretty simple and fair.
It's so fair that only one other nation on earth (with the GDP of, literally, two billion dollars) does it? That's not very convincing!

I'm also not convinced what the perks are of being a U.S. citizen overseas with the exception of consular assistance, which isn't really relevant here.