• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Form Flight

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I'm not perfect, even though I claim to be.

You'll do well in the jet community... haha.

I do think that one of the things we really didn't get enough of in TRACOM was form-type stuff. I was lucky being the odd man out in VT-86 (I didn't think so at the time...) but every single T-2 flight I had to brief and lead.

In the RAG and in the fleet... as a JO, you'll be flying with senior pilots... which means you'll be leading just about every flight.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You'll do well in the jet community... haha.

I do think that one of the things we really didn't get enough of in TRACOM was form-type stuff. I was lucky being the odd man out in VT-86 (I didn't think so at the time...) but every single T-2 flight I had to brief and lead.

In the RAG and in the fleet... as a JO, you'll be flying with senior pilots... which means you'll be leading just about every flight.

Agreed... after my second (and last) form flight in intermediate, I've found that even though I know the bare bones basics of form flight, I'm shaky at best at even that stuff.

Talking to our IP's today (both AF fighter guys), low-level formations can be the bread and butter of the pointy-nose, fast-mover types. We're expected to take charge and direct the flight, but that's hard to do when you have only a vague idea of how to visually navigate a 2 ship form 500 AGL at 240 IAS. Granted, you nut-up and do the best you can, but its still a bit overwhelming.. especially for your first true low level flight (and second form flight)

Cheers,
Bubba

MasterBates

About 10 times too high, and as fast as I wish we could go!

50' 150KIAS is the way to go! If your'e slow, you gotta go low.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MAC is not LAT and you don't navigate around at it.

And Brett, we Marines do LAT at 300' not 500' (unless you're in MAG14)

I'm referring to that little incident in Italy which kind of screwed things up for everybody else.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MAC is not LAT and you don't navigate around at it.

And Brett, we Marines do LAT at 300' not 500' (unless you're in MAG14)

Details details.

200 ft is pretty fun though, never thought I'd feel 500 ft was "boring".

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
Wait till 350+ at 100'. Thats when you realize how tightly your pilot has the strands of your life intertwined in his fingers. Although the first time I did a low level in a hornet it was right over a nudist camp. And I am sad to report that the only thing I saw was some big hairy dude waving at me.