• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign Presidential Helo Fleet

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In this case the better aircraft, the better helicopter for the mission; won!
Nice job Agusta-Westland!

The S-92 will be an extremely successful aircraft for Sikorsky in other venues. There are dozens (hundreds) of S-61's in need of retirement. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see commercial orders surpass 250-300 aircraft over the years - given the S-92's miserly hour operating costs.

SO between the S-92, the H-60/S-70 series, the S-76, and the CH-53X program, I think the folks at Stratford should have plenty of work in the coming years.

So when will the US-101 reach operational capability? Any word on what the military designation for the aircraft will be VH-??

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
a presidential Helo is not a T-45. To have it foreign made, the specifics of its defense systems will not be as safe as if it were made on American soil and kept here. I for one want the American President to ride in something made in the good ole US of A.

All that is being bought is the airframe all the avionics and defenses will be added later. Its like "pimpin a ride"

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
More space than a 53E?

rare21 said:
Looks close to an H-53 with more space and 3 engines.

Actually it's considered a "Medium Lift" helo with a passenger capacity of 14. It does have 3 engines like the CH-53E, but almost half the SHP per engine (2500 shp) compared to the CH-53's (4380 shp). That being said, I'm sure it'll be a huge step up from the H-3.

Rare, you still shooting for 53's?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And maybe waiting in the wings if the Osprey has any more issues. that was part of the reason this selection was os important.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Sour grapes from Dodd/Lieberman - I don't think there is close to enough political capitol to push this through.

Expect the US101 program to go full steam ahead!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
skidkid said:
And maybe waiting in the wings if the Osprey has any more issues. that was part of the reason this selection was os important.

I don't think the Osprey thing had much role at all. The big tie-in is for the USAF "Personnel Recovery Vehicle" aka their new CSAR aircraft. This is a big harbinger for that contract.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I thought I saw one of these flying down the Potomac, and I was right! The Navy awarded Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. a $542 million contract to deliver six VH-92A helicopters by 2021.