• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FOREIGN LANGUAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

somokeen

Does anyone know if being multi lingual would be helpful in getting an OCS billet. I dont consider myself fluent in any other language, but I do have speaking skills in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish. Also I am interested in taking some of the tests for foreign languages that the Navy offers, has anyone ever taken these, how hard are they and do they require fluency and to what degree. Thanks.

RobNLa

I do not know anything about the tests themselves, but I do know that being fluent in a foreign language is a major plus in obtaining either an intelligence or crypto billet. Good luck!

WFU2USN

somo,

Foreign language ability would be a plus. I "think" that most of the tests are for CT enlisted jobs since language training in the Navy is for CTI's.

IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

sailorgloom

Originally posted by somokeen
Does anyone know if being multi lingual would be helpful in getting an OCS billet.

If you want to be a Naval Cryptology Officer, it definitely helps. You would need to take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery). Your Officer Programs Officer can help schedule you. However, you still need to take the ASTB, have a degree, etc. Most importantly, your background check must be squeeky clean. This is a deal breaker. Good luck and keep posting those questions.

-SG

dividebyzero

I think i've mentioned this before, and as much as I hate to repeat myself (or do I) I cannot ever in good conscience recommend going for crypto officer unless you've been a CT for a while and know, without any doubt, that you want to be a crypto LDO. It's not exactly the most exciting or prestigous job in the navy, and there's no guarantee that you'd even be using your skills at all. Unfortunately, that's also the only way you'd be able to make full use of your language skills as an officer, that is, unless you go SEAL...especially with arabic and spanish.

In any case, if you do sign up, you can still get something out of your talents. Do you just "speak" these languages, or can you read and listen in them? Because depending on your proficiency, you can get extra pay (up to $300/month) for you language skills, and it would widen your opportunities further down the line.

Also, the tests for these languages are called the Defense Language Aptitude Battery, or DLAB.
These test your reading and listening skills in a target language on a 5-point scale. For all intents and purposes though, it only goes up to 3 in listening and 3 in reading. A score of 0/0 means no proficiency, a score of 1/1 to 1+/1+ means you know simple tourist type exchanges "Where's the bathroom?" , "What's your name?". A 2/2 to 2+/2+ means you've mastered the basic exchanges, and can talk about yourself and discuss complex ideas to a limited extent (you can give an autobiography, explain directions, make a phone call). 3/3, which is the highest most military folk's will get, puts you at about the same level a native-speaking college freshman would be at, able to discuss complex ideas and break them down (like, discussing Marx or "existentialism" and not being totally lost in a conversation. Or my favorite, explaining the tenants of "american neo-paganism" to my instructor)

Speaking is only tested for once, and that's if you actually go to a DOD language school. Not much emphasis on that unless you're going FAO.

Hopefully that answers most of your questions.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
dividebyzero, I just wanted to correct a couple of things that you said. The DLAB is the test to determine one's aptitude to learn a foreign language, it doesn't actually test any particular language. The test you are thinking of is the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test). This test is language specific and is available for many different languages. The rest was fairly accurate. The test is based on a 5-level system, but will only measure up to a 3 level. In other words, a perfect score would only net you a 3. A 0/0 score is actually knowledge of a few memorized phrases ("hello, how are you", etc.). 1/1 is a basic knowledge of the language structure and increased proficiency. 2/2 is a survival level or the ability to use the language in most daily activities as you said. The + levels are used when proficiency in some criteria for the higher level are displayed, but not all. As for hanging in with a college freshman level at 3/3... wow. I really wish that were true. I'm a 3/3 in Arabic and there is no way I could do that. Native level use of a language is a 4 level and highly educated and eloquent use is a 5 level. Speaking will be tested upon completion of a DOD language school or a refresher course (DLI, FLTCE, etc.) Ok, that's all I got to say about that.

wench

My son will be going to Illinois boot camp soon and then off to Pensacola for Cryptology Collector school. After this school where would he go? Do you then go so some language school, if so, where are they located?

quickandsure

Wench. Congrats. Cryptologic Technician is great. Great group.

As far as language training after Pensacola, no. Would be unusual for collection branch to go to language school. BTW it is in Monterey, Calif. Only Interp. (CT(I)) need language quals.

As far as where he will go: Submarines, Air Crew or surface ships have CT's. Also, many go to the National Security Agency (NSA) at Ft. Meade, MD for 3 or 4 year duty. Naval Security Group HQ's is also at Ft. George G. Meade.

Here is list of shore stations of the Naval Security Group:

Naval Security Group Headquarters, Fort Meade
NSGA, Denver, Colorado (NSGADEN)
NSGA Groton, CT
NSGA Fort Gordon
NSGA Hanza Okinawa, Japan
Naval Security Group Activity Kunia, Hawaii
NSGA Medina
NSGA Pensacola
Naval Security Group Activity Pearl Harbor
NSGA, Winter Harbor, Maine
Naval Security Group Activity Yokosuka

Naval Security Group Detachment, Monterey, CA

dividebyzero

spsiratt,I like you. You speak my funny DLI-ese. You are correct, I was clearly in the afterglow of a glue-huffing binge when I confused the DLAB with the DLPT.

As far as college-freshman proficiency, I meant primarily with speaking as far as 3's go. I know thats the case at least in Cat III languages, the system kinda' breaks down at Cat IV's.

I've got a question for you, though. Will you still be getting FLPP pay once you get your commission? As long as I've been doing this, I can't even find a straight answer as to whether or not you still get FLPP pay if you keep up your DLPT's, despite not actually working in the linguistic field. Also, where were you stationed in your darker days?

psrogers

Intel Officer
Hey Grist or anyone else who might know:
I am going to OCS for intel and I can't seem to find out anything concrete about what I will be doing after OCS and Intel school at Virginia Beach.

Are intel officers stationed at those same above Naval Security HQ's or do they have their own/do you know where any are? Are languages involved and or what if anything do you know about the typical tasks of intel officers?

Spsiratt, where were you stationed as an intel enlistee and what kind of projects did you work on, that you can tell us about anyway?

Thanks in advance.

quickandsure

PSROGERS. Congrats. Super gig. Read "Blind Mans' Bluff". Sounds like a book on submarines, but really a 90% book on intel (more cryptoligic).

Intel and Crypto are different. Naval Security Group Command is the 1610's (cryptologic) and Naval Intelligence Command is "Intel" types, 1630. NAVINTCOM is located in Suitland Maryland. Although AN IMPERFECT ANALOGY, National Security Agency (NSA) is big daddy for Cyrptologic and Central Intelligence Agency the role model for NIC. Of course DIA is in between NIC and CIA, and NIC marches to that drummer as well. That is one of the neat things, you have a lot of bosses!!! Director, NSA is an active duty Flag Officer, while CIA is of course civilian boss, selected by the President with advice and consent of Congress. DIA is of course all military.

You can be stationed anywhere. MIDEAST commands need lots of Intel types, all major naval commands have an N2 staff (intel) staffed with Intel Officers and men/women. Lots of "would have to kill you if I told you" stuff.

ONI was established in about 1882, to " .. collect, record .... information .. useful in time of war". Naval Security Group was established in mid 1900's, tasked primarily was Naval direct support and national tasking for Communications Intelligence (COMINT) Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) and Signals Intelligence (SIGINT). ONI of course uses the products of Naval Security Group, but by and large you will not be stationed at NSG activites. Nexus will be in N2/J2 staffs and etc. All sorts of neat opporunities, overt and covert. Things like Task Force 168 and others, similar. Homeland security fits into all that as well. Interesting tidbit, the headquarters for HomeLand Security is located on the same NW Washington campus recently vacated by Naval Securrity Group Command when they moved to Ft. Meade, MD.

This rambles a bit, sorry. Do have a longer piece of history of ONI could send to you if you want.

Good Luck.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
dividebyzero, sorry it took so long for me to get back. As far as I know, you can still get FLPP pay as long as you keep your DLPT up anually (and at least 2's obviously). The only exception I know of is if you're not in a language billet and test in Spanish or Tagalog. No pay for those as far as I know, but that could have changed.
I was stationed in the UK for quite a while, but spent most of my time deployed. I'm aircrew, so there's plenty of action to be had. I can't really say most of the stuff I've worked on, but SWA and the Kosovo show are among the more obvious ones.

psrogers

Intel Officer
Awesome Grist. That is about as much as I have been able to get out of anybody about intel. Anything else you know would be much appreciated either by email or posted here. Thanks

dividebyzero

Good to see another DLI grad on here...or at least someone who's potentially familiar with the Legend of the Sloat Monument Eagle...and to think, they were trying to move it to Arizona (mwahahaaa!)
Anyway, I think you're right about the FLPP pay thing. I'll have to check and see if it also applies to Navy, which it should, but you know how cheap we can get when it doesn't involve ships (and even then, it's not always consistent ;-)

psrogers, as far as I can tell, just avoid cryptology unless you're *really* *really* *REALLY* into computers and all things technical and electronic engineering related. There's a hell of a lot more diversity in intel vice crypto.

Status
Not open for further replies.