• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forced separation for prior-enlisted SNAs

Lightning26

I agree with you fully, as I think my prior statement does.

I should have asked a few questions and formulated my argument better before posting.

My question: Are prior enlisted treated differently when they attrite? In regards to their options of staying Navy.

Some post in this thread would point to yes. The Warrant Officer case would even point to being treated differently in the amount of test allowed to fail. My point is that everyone should be given the same options in regards to their qualifications. I quoted FlyBoyd because I believe if there is different treatment, waivers etc.... they could be attributed to the facts that the numbers clearly state.

My reasoning for including the Diversity Policy was that by treating prior enlisted differently, (if that is the case) then it goes against the policy. Now if the people that actually now the facts, counter this by raising the qoutas for STA-21 in future years. Then obviously my argument is null.

To this end, I believe that since the OP believes he might have fewer career options as a prior enlisted, only adds to the problem already documented for prior-Es.

Food for thought; I don't believe in age waivers for prior enlisted or any special treatment given for watch standing duties.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you being a Prior E does not make you any more "special" under the Navy's publicly emphasized diversity campaign.

Regardless of what designator you end up in, your status as a prior enlisted sailor will not make you protected from any failures you experience as an officer.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Does someone has the email address for the "Lead Ensign" down at NASC? He'll be able to clear up this 90% issue very easily!!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question: Are prior enlisted treated differently when they attrite? In regards to their options of staying Navy.

Some post in this thread would point to yes. The Warrant Officer case would even point to being treated differently in the amount of test allowed to fail. My point is that everyone should be given the same options in regards to their qualifications. I quoted FlyBoyd because I believe if there is different treatment, waivers etc.... they could be attributed to the facts that the numbers clearly state.

Red range. Cease bullshit due to misapprehension or misinformation.

There is no preferential treatment given to Prior-E's or Warrants. There's no different sets of standards, different number of tests you can fail, etc etc. A stud is a stud is a stud, we don't give a shit how many ribbons you have. There's no auto "fail X tests and you're gone, unless you're an O-1E, then you get X+1" anything. Decision on retention or attrition is up to the Skipper and strictly on an individual basis.

I can tell you from having sat on many PRB's, it is totally 100% about the individual student. Prior time may be a factor we consider - i.e., has the stud been out of school for so long he can't get his head back into the academic game? - but it has nothing to do with a recc to retain or attrite. I have never, ever sat on a board with a Prior-E or Warrant where anyone said anything remotely close to "Well, yeah, but he was an E-5 and already has ten years in...let's give him another shot". Anything you may have heard differently is Ensign Wisdom (IOW, bullshit).

As to different/other options if they attrite, again, it depends on the student and whether the command and BUPERS feel he/she is worth keeping and redesignating. And again, prior time may be a factor, but nowhere near a decisive one. More important is why they attrited (medical? academic? shitty attitude and didn't want to study?).