• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forced separation for prior-enlisted SNAs

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
You have to realize that big Navy views your education as a sunk cost. Once they have paid for it, they don't really sit around trying to dream up every last way to "get what they paid for." These manpower decisions (i.e. how many Ensigns to make) are made years out from the time they actually affect the Fleet. So, though it may seem criminal to completely let a guy / gal out of his / her contract, it actually saves money because you "stop the hemorrhaging" by not paying them anything anymore (salary, benefits, etc.).

I'm sure there is some unfortunate soul on AW that has done a staff tour involving these kinds of personnel issues ...

Lightning26

Also, be advised that as a prior E you fall into a special group. It is similar to any other group that is different from the majority. Your tendency will be not to feel as comfortable around the other ensigns due to your age and life experience differences. Are you married? Kids? Female? A minority? Any one of those combined with prior E exacerbates the potential problem. It can best be summed up as you are only comfortable with your own kind when you are under stress. This lack of comfort will most likely make you shy away from the group study/hanging out that is a prime tool that helps you get through (and do well) in flight school. There are not too many priors going through so you can tend to be a loner. You may not fit exactly into the mold I describe but it is very real and CNATRA has loads of data on this so don't blow it off. Just be aware of the potential and battle it if you see it coming.

FlyBoyd- good advice, this is not directed at you in any way.

I don't think any "group" should be categorized in any way. Data can be intepreted in many ways and by no means should be used to determine someone's career. I believe there should be equal standards across the board. If there is a problem, discrimination does not provide any solutions. It only makes it worse.

I wonder how the CNO's diversity policy agrees with this way of thinking?

"The purpose of this policy is to ensure that everyone in the Navy understands how I feel about diversity. I believe that diversity is the responsibility of every leader, both military and civilian. Each leader must set and live the example, as well as create an environment in our Navy where every individual's contribution is valued and respected," he said. "Most importantly, the Navy must reflect the face of the nation. When the nation looks at its Navy, it should see itself reflected back."

"I want our Navy's leaders to internalize this policy and demonstrate a personal commitment to attract young men and women to the Navy, and compel them to stay Navy. For those who are currently serving in our Navy, we must mentor these young people and provide opportunities for them to reach and maximize their fullest potential,"

"As an organization that's diverse at all levels, infused with many perspectives, we become stronger, more talented, more capable, and more effective. At the end of the day this is what our country wants and this is what our country deserves, a Navy that is out and about doing what it needs to do with the support of its country and the strength of its diversity to move forward,"

- Admiral Roughead

Read full article here: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=35401

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't know...STA-21 guys make $10,000/year for tuition plus full pay and benefits for their rank. That's a lotta dough to just say "Hey, we don't even want you to be a SWO."

Maybe a consideration, maybe not. Either way, I saw it happen to a couple priors both in API as well as in the VT's. I believe the running figure for cost to train in the strike pipeline is around 1.5M per winger....if you are talking money, that is an awful lot more than pretty much any STA-21 is going to rake in during their max of 3 years in the program. Not saying you don't have a point, just that it isn't always that cut and dry.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Last year while I was instructing in the HT's I lived in the Pines. A neighbor who was a prior kept failing tests in API. They gave him his walking papers. I think he even tried to revert back to enlisted but it didn't work out.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Last year while I was instructing in the HT's I lived in the Pines. A neighbor who was a prior kept failing tests in API. They gave him his walking papers. I think he even tried to revert back to enlisted but it didn't work out.

Flying Low (and some of the other folks here) have brought up a fairly interesting point that future STA-21 guys should consider. Attriting flight school could potentially mean leaving your 8, 12, whatever years behind you. When I applied in 05, the thought never crossed my mind. I'm gonna post a link to this over in the one of the STA-21 threads, because it's an idea worth considering.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I don't think any "group" should be categorized in any way. Data can be intepreted in many ways and by no means should be used to determine someone's career. I believe there should be equal standards across the board. If there is a problem, discrimination does not provide any solutions. It only makes it worse.

Agreed, but you can't turn away in the face of piles of metrics or the universal opinion of a VT wardroom that says a particular "group" of accessions exhibits statistically poor NSS's, poor attitudes, and the "been there, done that" when in fact, they're just the same as the butter-bar next to them. It's not the Instructors that "categorize" them, it's the individuals who do so by their poor performance.

A precious few have "gotten it" and re-calibrated themselves. Most have not, despite some geniune efforts to counsel and advise.
Just my .02

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Agreed, but you can't turn away in the face of piles of metrics or the universal opinion of a VT wardroom that says a particular "group" of accessions exhibits statistically poor NSS's, poor attitudes, and the "been there, done that" when in fact, they're just the same as the butter-bar next to them.

Commissioning as a prior enlisted is a humbling experience. You have to go from being the go-to WCS or LPO with all of the answers back to the bottom of the totem pole. That's something that every prior enlisted Sailor has to accept. Your experience is worth something, and helpful in some situations, but not all of them. It's a culture shock that you agree to when you accept your commission.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Most of the priors I have met in the tracom have been above average dudes. Not to say there aren't some bad apples, and there are of course the guys who can't pass up an opportunity to tell you "how it is in the fleet"....though most of those types seem to be the low man on the totem pole trying to sound cool in the student ready room. Most of "those guys" seem to simmer down once they actually start flying and find out that we are all in this thing together (and all have our own problems along the way)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

The reason the groups have been identified is because the data sorted it out. They weren't presorted and then the data was taken. There is an entire Human Performance shop at CNATRA dedicated to this stuff.

The data doesn't "determine someones career." It is merely a product of historical performance. It is presented as something to watch for...i.e. a key indicator. Much like the fact that, historically, a student with API failures has a much higher chance of attriting. There is no bias in that fact. It is just a red flag.

CNATRA asked (years ago) "What is different about the attritions?" The data showed the groups. Further studies (interviews) showed that lack of group study due to a lack of comfort outside their "group" as a key component.

The standards (MPTS) are the same across the board. They are based on a required skillset. If you really want "equal standards across the board" then you should expect the process not to recognize the differences/troubles the data has shown exist and to make it a black and white decision (no pun intended). IPs like me (and others) would not be made aware of these facts in order to help you avoid the pitfalls of your predecessors. This is not a discussion of race, discrmination, reverse discrimination, etc. just a discussion of the historical performance.

Take it or leave it. Choose to recognize it or not. But I think if you keep your eyes open you will see it if not experience it yourself.

One more thing...directed at me or not....posting the CNO's diversity policy in order to make your point about your (mis)perception of my post is something I would expect from a prior E douchebag. If you wish to drop the douchebag from the prior E, check your tone.

simple20

pilot
That one's true. I just got 2 below on my last flight :(. Had a meeting with the senior Marine and everything. Looks like I'm heading into the wonderful world of Marine Helo UAVs! I'm still not sure why they're sending me to Corpus for multi first though...:confused:

WTF? What does that mean?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
FlyBoyd- good advice, this is not directed at you in any way.

I wonder how the CNO's diversity policy agrees with this way of thinking?

Read full article here: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=35401

Hate to burst your bubble, but you being a Prior E does not make you any more "special" under the Navy's publicly emphasized diversity campaign.

Regardless of what designator you end up in, your status as a prior enlisted sailor will not make you protected from any failures you experience as an officer.

Short

None
"I believe there should be equal standards across the board. If there is a problem, discrimination does not provide any solutions. It only makes it worse."

Noted. So we're going to even up the PRT standards and take a look at our officer ascension, get rid of officer photos, ect. The average dude in a Ready Room is pretty much color blind, and would most likely get pooped upon if he weren't. I understand if there are members of senior leadership that feel guilty about getting their meals served by stewards constrained to that rate by race. Get over it. We're not that Navy anymore. $hit can the "fill in the blank" celebration month, treat everyone like we're Navy Blue and move on.

Course if anyone disagrees with you, you can just quote policy and hit them with the discrimination charge. Or take off your think skin suit. Either or.