• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forced separation for prior-enlisted SNAs

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Study the concepts and when you're in study groups, if you can explain it to someone, you should be fine on the tests. My API class had 4 Marines total, and we would get together all the time (or at a minimum, the night before a test) and go over everything. Some were struggling with the theories (especially aero) and I was able to explain the material to them a little differently than the books, which helped out both of us. If you can't teach worth a crap, pay attention in class (had a buddy that got the academic boot for generally not paying attention, and he was a 1000+ hr regional pilot) and rehash everything with your peers. You should be fine.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Hello Warriors,
I am a newly commissioned (prior-enlisted aircrewman) officer from the STA-21 program, selected as SNA. I am sitting in Utah waiting to PCS to Florida (again) for flight school. I am hearing rumors about a 90% minimum on exam scores, and that the prior enlisted cats that don't meet the minimums (or just straight out fail) are being handed their walking papers and separated from the Navy. Switching communities isn't happening much anymore. Is any of this legit or is it just another product of the rumor-mill? I have a buddy who isn't commissioned yet, but is worried enough about it that he is thinking about switching to Nuke (what he did when he was enlisted) instead of risking separation. What is really going on? Thanks.

I can't imagine the Navy kicking you out right after spending all that money on you in college. Like before, don't fail anything and it won't be a problem. If you and your buddy are smart enough to qualify for Nuke, you should be able to cut the mins at API. Remember, people with ZERO technical backgrounds can still do well in API. Study, study, study, and don't psych yourself out before you get there.

Good luck...hopefully I will be in your shoes sooner rather than later.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Interesting "news". I recall hearing something like "It's easier to get you guys through (NASC) than attrite you." at the 0700 musters. Oh wait, that's exactly what the CDR said!

[***Opinion Alert***] If they aren't attriting studs for shooting endangered birds while out of bounds, stealing decorations from local businesses, or breaking into random peoples houses while piss drunk I don't think trying your best and scoring an 88 on an API exam is going to get you sent home. Just my $0.02. [/***Opinion Alert***]

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Just don't fuck it up and it won't be a problem.

If the OP is who I think he is, this definitely won't be a problem. Chalk that up to a humble introduction.
@OP, PM'ed. :)

edit: suspicions are confirmed. Can't wait to see you bro!

Dusty's old roomate :D

MasterBates

I made it through API. And flight school (2 TIMES!)

I'm pretty much Tim "The Toolman" Taylor with a degree. It can be done.

qys20y.jpg

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
So there's no truth to something I think I heard someone tell me that he heard from a stash at CNATRA that if you get 2 belows on a single flight you get sent to a UAV pool? :icon_wink

That one's true. I just got 2 below on my last flight :(. Had a meeting with the senior Marine and everything. Looks like I'm heading into the wonderful world of Marine Helo UAVs! I'm still not sure why they're sending me to Corpus for multi first though...:confused:

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I can't imagine the Navy kicking you out right after spending all that money on you in college.

I thought the same thing early on - I've seen three now that are out with nothing to pay back - one academy, one ERAU grad in which they[Navy] paid for his flight training at ERAU (stupid expensive).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the same thing early on - I've seen three now that are out with nothing to pay back - one academy, one ERAU grad in which they[Navy] paid for his flight training at ERAU (stupid expensive).

+1 on this. I think the decent numbers of people who failed out of IFS would disagree with the assertion that they spent so much money on you that they wouldn't kick you out.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
A CDR stated that the Navy has a temporary surplus of pilots, and that, once upon a time, the Navy cut pilots with scores below 90 to eliminate a surplus. His message was to give effort and score well in API.

That once upon a time was spring 2005... bad times for last part of YG04 SNAs going through API.

The slaughtering of those who didn't make the cut of the rolling NSS of 42.5 (by the end of things it equaled around 94% test average) did include Prior Es and YG03 SNAs who did the 1 year masters programs the Navy offered them out of college and had the unfortunate timing of going through API with the YG04 crew. Of those who didn't make the cut: some went SNFO, several re-designated outside of aviation (including at least one blue to green), a very lucky few got NSS waivers that allowed them to continue on to primary and many went back to being civilians.

To the OP (and their friend):

From what I remember, nearly everyone was offered an in house re-designation to SNFO. Most of the people who got sent home did so of their own choosing- some because they only wanted to be pilots and others because they had a chance to move forward with their lives after years sooner then expected and didn't have to pay the Navy back the money it paid for their education.

If a similar situation were to happen again, I think they would again attempt to get you a re-designations for those who don't make the cut.

Having experienced the YG04 RIF first hand, I would NOT try to change service selection to something else out of fear of getting cut in API. Go down and do your best there and things will work out one way or another...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

I don't know...STA-21 guys make $10,000/year for tuition plus full pay and benefits for their rank. That's a lotta dough to just say "Hey, we don't even want you to be a SWO."

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
I don't know...STA-21 guys make $10,000/year for tuition plus full pay and benefits for their rank. That's a lotta dough to just say "Hey, we don't even want you to be a SWO."

At the same time, it's 5 years of O-1E/O-2E/O-3E (at whatever total years of service) pay and benefits that they won't be shelling out to keep someone as a potentially disgruntled "fallen angel" SWO if they just separate them. I'm not advocating this or agreeing with it, just sayin'...