• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For Kings Pointers'

Status
Not open for further replies.

YPBFluids

Yesterday I just accepted my appointment to USMMA. I also got selected to go to NAPS, but after a long and hard decision i feel that Kings Point has much more to offer and will be a completely different experience than i will experience at any other service academy. Anyways, i am currently enlisted in the Navy and i am working with a CDR at usmma on how to discharge me or do a switch to the reserves. Anyway i might be going up to New York in a few weeks to be stationed there until INDOC starts. But my big question is , do many priors go to the academy and how hard is INDOC, it is only 2 weeks but that could be good or it could be absolute HELL!!! Also i want to know what a good major would be what are the whole deckie and engineer thing is about. My dad wants me to become a pilot at a port , he heard that they make 100,000 plus dollars a year and that is supposedly starting salary. Kinda persuades me from getting that tasty commission into the Navy and trying for my flight wings. Anyways, any help would be totally kick ass. And if anyone else is going to Kings Point this year Private Message me.

VAmookie

compared to boot, INDOC is cake (maybe a little more running). Not too many enlisted guys, but there are some NAPS guys. INDOC is only 2 weeks because the academic school year is roughly 11 months, not the typical 9. Engineering is hard but doable if you want it. Deck (business) is still respectable, and many grads go to flight school with this. Better edu than Naval Academy(subject to debate, but after grad income is substantially higher with similar degrees.) Very Very exclusive networking abilities with alumni and whatnot (few the proud type of thing) Money after grad is very good (still have a reserve or active duty commitment) If you were to become a harbor pilot (which would be some 20 years down the road, as this is the most exclusive of all sailing jobs) you would make more like 250,000. Like is said, money is good, but the dont buy wings of gold... Almost makes me wish i hadnt FAILED OUT... ****... FIGMAC

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
My brother is a graduate of Kings Point and is more than willing to talk to people about the school. I sailed, as an engineer, for a while. If you have any questions, or would like to talk to my brother about KP specifics, feel free to PM me. Also, about being a harbor pilot, some places yes, it takes 20 years to become one. Some it doesn't though. EX: I have a friend that is becoming a NY Harbor Pilot (and he has no relatives that are pilots there) and its basically 5 years of getting paid pretty much nothing as an apprentice, then you become a pilot and make lots of money (I think it was around 250,000 last year). Another note, you can make 100,000 sailing on your 3rd a/e liscene if you are willing to work lots of overtime and work for the right company.

EngineGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.