• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For A-6 Intruder Lovers.....

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MILITARY AVIATION
Legends of Vietnam: Shoulder to Shoulder
The Grumman A-6 was ugly, but it sure could cook.
By Rafael Lima
Air & Space Magazine, May 01, 2009

Great article.
LINKY

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And if you don't like to read...

or don't have the time to pick up the book that made Stephen Coonts somebody in publishing world

Flight_of_the_intruder.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It mentioned a Navy pilot with a Marine B/N...did this really happen in fleet squadrons?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It mentioned a Navy pilot with a Marine B/N...did this really happen in fleet squadrons?

We had a Marine LSO who was learning trade so he could go back to his A-6 squadron that was scheduled to deploy aboard carrier.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
We had a Marine LSO who was learning trade so he could go back to his A-6 squadron that was scheduled to deploy aboard carrier.

The reverse has also taken place. When Coral Sea (CV-43) deployed with 4 Hornet squadrons (2 Navy + 2 Marine), a Navy LSO, who later became the Airlant LSO, was assigned to the Marine squadron for workups and deployment.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The reverse has also taken place. When Coral Sea (CV-43) deployed with 4 Hornet squadrons (2 Navy + 2 Marine), a Navy LSO, who later became the Airlant LSO, was assigned to the Marine squadron for workups and deployment.

As a matter of fact, that was same timeframe so maybe there was a trade!

Here's one of my favorite A-6 shots; first iron on deck for opening round of Desert Storm

Firstironondeck.jpg

HJ Photo

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Wish I had a pic of our CAG-5 Intruders loaded up with 20+ (A-6 guys help me here I can't remember the exact number) MK-20 Rockeye about a week into DS. They were working the Al-Faw AAA emplacements. It was an impressive load on one aircraft.

HJ or any other photo experts out there ever come across those photos?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wish I had a pic of our CAG-5 Intruders loaded up with 20+ (A-6 guys help me here I can't remember the exact number) MK-20 Rockeye about a week into DS. They were working the Al-Faw AAA emplacements. It was an impressive load on one aircraft.

HJ or any other photo experts out there ever come across those photos?

Alas, those were high water mark of wet film so reqally tough to run down images. Many carriers (photo labs/PAO shops) kept images for themselves (DV visits/cruise book) and never sent them into CHINFO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The reverse has also taken place. When Coral Sea deployed with 4 Hornet squadrons (2 Navy + 2 Marine), a Navy LSO, who ....was assigned to the Marine squadron for workups and deployment.
It's been happening for a long time; it's usually situational. I was TAD'd to the 1st MAW to workup two USMC squadrons -- one F-4 and one A-6 -- that had a large combined percentage (>50%) of Air Force trained & winged USMC pilots who had never seen the blunt end of the BOAT in their USMC flying career to that point ... :eek:

We also had a wrecking crew of Aussie LSO's that made one complete workup & cruise w/ us -- they were getting their eyes & ears calibrated for the S-2 and there wasn't enough deck-time in the RAN for them to get their experience & quals "in house" ... the upside: they took their "mentor" :)D) back to the ship w/ them for a few weeks of "exchange duty" ... a very good deal, one might add.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ahh I didn't read closely enough. CAPT (O-6 type) With a Capt. (O3 type) probably shoulda dropped the cluebomb on me...

I'll chalk this one up to the Navy sponsored camping trip I'm about to go on, to wild and wonderful Maine. :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that's settled...another favorite view of the A-6 (KA-6D)

KA-6D.jpg

HJ Photo

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ehhhh ... that's "easy" ... :D How 'bout a pix of a double-ended refueling hose .... ?? W/ an "Ugly" attached to each end ... ??? :D

photo by A4sForever

navyao

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here but outta curiosity, how many of you flew AGM-123B Skipper? When I was in Enterprise VA-95 flew it with some success during Op. Praying Mantis. We had a lot of airfoil kits, control guidance and those big rocket motors it seemed pretty darn popular. When I cross decked to 114 in 92' I of course didn't see it anymore and it kind of fell off the radar. As an AO, it was an awesome weapon; iron bomb with missle stuff hung on it - cool! Just curious.