• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FNAEB outcomes

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I hope it goes your way. The T-44 part is interesting…all they could really add to your training is single-engine operations in a ME environment.
If they send me E-2s I’d like the prop experience. Different beast than what I’ve been flying the last three years!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
… Part of my concern is career timing as I was supposed to be with my fleet squadron already and I’m an LT. Going back through another FRS and possibly T-44s will make things weird.
Yes, your career timing will be different than most. Recommend you find a mentor to help you understand the ramifications of being delayed hitting the fleet.

Bottom line is that you’ll be behind your peers, and you’ll need to work hard to earn your high water FITREP prior to your O-4 & DH screen. If you don’t earn a breakout FITREP and Aircraft Commender/Mission Commander quals during your fleet tour, your career will be dead in the water (eg: Terminal O-3). Recommend you find a DH to help you understand and navigate your future.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Yes, your career timing will be different than most. Recommend you find a mentor to help you understand the ramifications of being delayed hitting the fleet.

Bottom line is that you’ll be behind your peers, and you’ll need to work hard to earn your high water FITREP prior to your O-4 & DH screen. If you don’t earn a breakout FITREP and Aircraft Commender/Mission Commander quals during your fleet tour, your career will be dead in the water (eg: Terminal O-3). Recommend you find a DH to help you understand and navigate your future.
That was my understanding of how this timing could look. I was told that because of this my chances of being accepted by another community were low, but I also know how badly every community needs O-4s. As I understand in P-8s mission commander is reached during a pilot’s first fleet tour.

As for DH mentors the ones I’d talk to in my current squadron are the ones who told me to consider DOR’ing and redesignating rather than go through a FNAEB.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was my understanding of how this timing could look. I was told that because of this my chances of being accepted by another community were low, but I also know how badly every community needs O-4s. As I understand in P-8s mission commander is reached during a pilot’s first fleet tour.

As for DH mentors the ones I’d talk to in my current squadron are the ones who told me to consider DOR’ing rather than go through a FNAEB.
Understand, but since you did opt for a FNAEB over DOR’ing, the conversation has changed and I’d offer that’s where you start the next discussion with those DHs you’ve talked with. Topic: if you get a multi transition, how do you navigate it. And I’d also offer if and when you get to your fleet squadron, you have a sit down with both your CO and XO, and discuss your challenges ahead, and how you will work your ass off to earn your place (& high water FITREP). This frank discussion will manage your expectations as well as the agreement you have with the head shed.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Understand, but since you did opt for a FNAEB over DOR’ing, the conversation has changed and I’d offer that’s where you start the next discussion with those DHs you’ve talked with. Topic: if you get a multi transition, how do you navigate it. And I’d also offer if and when you get to your fleet squadron, you have a sit down with both your CO and XO, and discuss your challenges ahead, and how you will work your ass off to earn your place (& high water FITREP). This frank discussion will manage your expectations as well as the agreement you have with the head shed.
All good points! The next time I see them I’ll pose the question.

I’m not sure to what degree, if any, the initial recommendation considered the needs of other communities but I expect that for a transition to even be recommended it’s not an unlikely final outcome despite what I was told.

hdr777

pilot
In the few cases I know of where people went from 18E/F/G to big wing or E-2 after a FNAEB they went through multi-engine advanced. I wouldn’t mind since it’s more flying but it’s also 6 months.

For people in a similiar situation to you I think they just went through the IUT syllabus, which was like 10 flights instead of the full syllabus, just enough to get exposure to single engine stuff. Not sure about the P8, but I wouldn't want my first time doing single engine work to be in the hawkeye.

robav8r

None
Contributor
My preference is P-8s. My friends in that community all like the plane and mission. I can ask for what I want but ultimately it’ll be CNAF’s call. Part of my concern is career timing as I was supposed to be with my fleet squadron already and I’m an LT. Going back through another FRS and possibly T-44s will make things weird.
I wouldn't worry about that at all. However, you may end up with a FOG name tag when you check in vice a FNG one, but that's a story for another time . . . .

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
For people in a similiar situation to you I think they just went through the IUT syllabus, which was like 10 flights instead of the full syllabus, just enough to get exposure to single engine stuff. Not sure about the P8, but I wouldn't want my first time doing single engine work to be in the hawkeye.
Yeah from everyone I’ve spoken to the P-8’s fairly benign but the Hawkeye’s a handful.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I wouldn't worry about that at all. However, you may end up with a FOG name tag when you check in vice a FNG one, but that's a story for another time . . . .
Hey so long as I keep flying after this they can call me Methuselah for all I care! Promotion to O4 is a problem far down the road and hopefully not a dealbreaker for a transition.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Update: the board recommended termination of flight statues in my current platform and that I change to a multi-piloted aircraft. My skipper already said he’d sign off on that, so now I’m just waiting for it to move up the chain. I know E-2 manning is pretty bad right now and I already CQ’d so I expect that’s where I’ll go, but does anyone here have a picture of what P-8 manning looks like?
Just for SA... they aren't likely to place you based on community manning. One person doesn't move the PERS needle. Again, without more specifics, it's tough to predict, but if your challenges had anything to do with performance behind the boat, I think you're unlikely to be placed into a carrier-based platform.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is going back through T-44's really something the Navy does in a case like this?
In the few cases I know of where people went from 18E/F/G to big wing or E-2 after a FNAEB they went through multi-engine advanced. I wouldn’t mind since it’s more flying but it’s also 6 months.

We had a few folks go from jets to EP-3's and way back then they did a short course in T-44's, much less than 6 months, then went on to the RAG.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I knew of a dude that went right from hornets to the P-8 RAG, skipping multi advanced. He was well into his fleet tour so I assume that played a part in skipping T-44 advanced. In my mind, the T-44 syllabus is trivial when compared to an ACTC syllabus in TACAIR.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew of a dude that went right from hornets to the P-8 RAG, skipping multi advanced. He was well into his fleet tour so I assume that played a part in skipping T-44 advanced. In my mind, the T-44 syllabus is trivial when compared to an ACTC syllabus in TACAIR.

For the guys that I knew that went through it struck me as an ad hoc thing versus an established process, so it is not surprising that it varies from person to person.