• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FNAEB outcomes

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
If this person is getting FNAEB’d vs flight school attrited I’m guessing they have wings, being a winged military hour reduces requirements for an ATP for military pilots to 750hrs TT. Somewhere in the FRS places them around 250-300hrs. OPs profile placed them in intermediate jets so that means some fixed wing single engine jet time and maybe some multi engine jet time.

Last year I helped mentor Rhino pilot who got medically DQ’d during work ups and medically retired. He had around 400hrs. Didn’t want to CFI because it pays 💩 so he looked around and got a job flying right seat in a king air for a medivac company. He’s approaching 750hrs after 9 months working. His options are stay to upgrade to CA at his Gig, or go to regionals where his fixed wing jet time will stand out amongst 1000-1500hr CFIs and. 750hr R-ATP helo pilots.

There are plenty of part 91/135 King Air/ Jet SIC jobs that would benefit by someone who flew fixed wing military and vice versa. RJ FO gigs pay 80-100k a year now to start.

It won’t be super quick (18-24 months to RJs another 18-36 months to a legacy) but if his ultimate goal is to be a pilot, he’ll get to the Legacies far quicker than going through NFO flight school and spending 8 more years non logging pilot time and then starting over.
Thanks, appreciate the detailed response. Forgot that all you need for the 750 hr cut is to be winged. Really jealous of those S-3 FOs that got to log stick time.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Thanks, appreciate the detailed response. Forgot that all you need for the 750 hr cut is to be winged. Really jealous of those S-3 FOs that got to log stick time.
The were not legal to log stick time for the airlines.. Some part 135/91 places accepted it as flight time but NO 121 carrier.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I could have misread the original post, but I think the OP is already in the FRS or the fleet (two seat tacair). They also owe the remainder of their winging commitment (7 years). There’s some great advice here, but some of it seems geared towards the OP being able to get out now.

Having to fulfill the remainder of the commitment adds another layer of complexity and limits their options to a platform transition (if offered/approved), transitioning to a non-flying career field, or switching to NFO. @colonial-aviation correct me if I’m off base.

All that being said, if your goal is to fly for the airlines push hard for that platform transition. If you can’t get that, then clarify your overall service commitment for going NFO before going back through the pipeline. The goal would be to avoid additional time for getting NFO wings on top of what you already owe. Like you said, flying is definitely better than not flying, and your quality of life for your remaining time in the Navy would be improved versus the alternative. Final option would be redesignating to another community, but that process will literally be a crapshoot, and I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d still have to build pilot time on your own dime and not have the opportunity to fly.

PM if you end up needing to go the resdesignation route. While the process is slightly different than laterally transferring, some of the gouge I picked up along the way might be useful.
There is some gamesmanship involved for people who walk away post wings and commitment to get out early. For DORs and Med DQs, it involves them making an attempt to redesignate into another community and not getting picked up. I know three that have gotten released from Active Duty in this manner. They made it sound that when the time comes they’re aware of what communities have the most and least openings and which will most likely not take them and most likely take them and make those requests according to their end goal.

I think if the OP gets the opportunity to change communities as a pilot then he should jump on the opportunity (assuming he wants to stay a pilot). If he doesn’t get that opportunity then he needs to figure out which way he wants to try to take his life’s direction.

I think @nittany03 would probably have some valuable insights into the options the OP does not get the option to change communities as a pilot and has to decide whether going back as an NFO.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Here’s a question: Do NFO wings qualify one for the 750 R-ATP? I’ve known of a few NFOs who went on to flying careers post-Navy. Wonder if they could invoke that rule to get ahead?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Here’s a question: Do NFO wings qualify one for the 750 R-ATP? I’ve known of a few NFOs who went on to flying careers post-Navy. Wonder if they could invoke that rule to get ahead?

No. Most of the NFO to 121 tracks I’ve seen involved civilian flight training, then part 91/135 to get to normal ATP mins. Had a VFA NFO in my Skywest indoc who did it, mostly with GI Bill and then flew king airs. I think contract ISR since he had a clearance?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
No. Most of the NFO to 121 tracks I’ve seen involved civilian flight training, then part 91/135 to get to normal ATP mins. Had a VFA NFO in my Skywest indoc who did it, mostly with GI Bill and then flew king airs. I think contract ISR since he had a clearance?
Ah that makes sense.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Update: the board recommended termination of flight statues in my current platform and that I change to a multi-piloted aircraft. My skipper already said he’d sign off on that, so now I’m just waiting for it to move up the chain. I know E-2 manning is pretty bad right now and I already CQ’d so I expect that’s where I’ll go, but does anyone here have a picture of what P-8 manning looks like?

HuggyU2

None
It is not at all uncommon in the USAF for a new pilot that washes out of the fighter track to move to a crew aircraft... and be successful. I know several.

Generally, if they tracked to a single-pilot aircraft, they did pretty well in pilot training and have more than adequate skill sets to thrive as a pilot in a different flying environment.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
@colonial-aviation that is good news…do you have any say in the decision? What is your preference?
My preference is P-8s. My friends in that community all like the plane and mission. I can ask for what I want but ultimately it’ll be CNAF’s call. Part of my concern is career timing as I was supposed to be with my fleet squadron already and I’m an LT. Going back through another FRS and possibly T-44s will make things weird.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My preference is P-8s. My friends in that community all like the plane and mission. I can ask for what I want but ultimately it’ll be CNAF’s call. Part of my concern is career timing as I was supposed to be with my fleet squadron already and I’m an LT. Going back through another FRS and possibly T-44s will make things weird.
I hope it goes your way. The T-44 part is interesting…all they could really add to your training is single-engine operations in a ME environment.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Is going back through T-44's really something the Navy does in a case like this?
In the few cases I know of where people went from 18E/F/G to big wing or E-2 after a FNAEB they went through multi-engine advanced. I wouldn’t mind since it’s more flying but it’s also 6 months.