• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying with Trigeminal Neuralgia

Porkchopexpress

Hypothetically, If a pilot were to have pain on the right side only of his face, scalp, inner ear and throat that lasted about two weeks and occurred four times in the last two years, is that likely to be Trigeminal Neuralgia and would he be medically grounded if he was to tell a flight surgeon? Thank you for your time! (Hypothetically)

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Hypothetically... have you considered paying out of pocket for an opinion from a civilian doctor?
Knowing you have something wrong with you and making a decision based on that is one thing...
But having symptoms like that and not knowing what is wrong with you is another thing all together.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
Just realize... a pilot would never have those symptoms.

Bullshit.

I have sleep apnea, and suspect I've had it for most of my adult life. A friend was discussing his diagnosis with it, and my wife said, "yeah, that sounds like exactly like what you do."

I asked a flight surgeon about it and he told me "um yeah, I'm sure you don't have it." A couple years later, I asked again, was told "yeah, um, that is a downing condition, you don't have it."

I'm not sure how many times I asked, had to have been on the order of 4 or 5 times, I was finally put in for a referral to get a sleep study done. Turns out that, yes, I do indeed have sleep apnea. Also turns out that it is waiverable if the treatment works (CPAP device). I literally can tell the difference when I wake up in the morning if I've had a good nights sleep or not now, and the difference is based on using the CPAP or not when I'm sleeping.

So to the OP, as a pilot, you "hypothetically" may have a condition that could be medically disqualifying, but you also may "hypothetically" have a condition known to be incapacitating during flight.

Part of being a professional pilot is the responsibility you have to be honest about your health. It is not within your perview to make the decision to hide this condition (ie, get a private consult out of pocket). You have a responsibility to the Navy and those you fly with to be in good health. Sometimes the unfortunate outcome of a situation like this is a medical disqualification, but that's life. If this is something that can be treated, and possibly prevent you from an untimely death, it is worth reporting, even if it means you don't fly anymore.

2 times in 4 years and you still haven't mentioned it? Are you really willing to put your own or somebody else's life at risk just so you can keep flying? Pretty fucking selfish if you are.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
SWACQ offers the truth, especially in the last 4 lines of his post. It just isn't worth it.

Furthermore, if you read the link, you can see that microvascular decompression surgery can be waived.

And, it isn't always the condition (the pain can be mind numbing, literally), but the side effects of the drug fix that cause problems.

SH-60OB

pilot
SWACQ has it right. If something is wrong with you, get to the doc and get it fixed then worry about dealing with NAMI. As someone who has been down that road and is currently flying with a disqualifying/non-waiverable medical condition and taking non-waiverable medication, I can tell you the fight to stay in the Navy and return to flight status was rough but I can't imagine how much life would have sucked had I not gotten the treatment I needed.

Porkchopexpress

First I would like to thank feddoc, that was exactly what I was looking for. Second, you can all cool your jets. I was seen a year ago for the initial symptoms, (diagnosed as a pinched nerve) but I wanted to get my ducks in a row before I reported that they have come back. Turns out that it is probably nerve damage and I still have a valid up-chit.