• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying with beer

sickboy

pilot
I have some homebrew that I'd like to take home to my folks while I'm on leave. Is it safe to carry beer in checked luggage? I'm a little worried about the pressure difference causing all my clothes to get wet.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I have some homebrew that I'd like to take home to my folks while I'm on leave. Is it safe to carry beer in checked luggage? I'm a little worried about the pressure difference causing all my clothes to get wet.

I don't know about the pressure difference causing any problems but I do know the baggage guys throwing your bag around will cause problems. I brought back two bottles of Rum from Jamaica and only one made it safely back home.

kacraven

As somebody who used to work as ground crew for an airline, don't put anything even mildly breakable in your luggage .. I've literally seen guys jump up and down on bags ... granted that particular passenger yelled at the check-in girl for a good half-hour but even still ... Use lots of padding if you're gonna try it!

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
If the only reason you'd be checking luggage is because of the booze, I'd say go ahead and ship it. Carry-on to save money with the airlines, and put it towards getting the beer there safely. If you're gonna check luggage anyway, it's a toss up. Personally, I'd ship it, since it's not terribly expensive, it'll be easier to pack and protect, and the odds of it getting lost are exponentially lower than that of carry-on luggage.

Use FedEx if you do it, since that goes towards my inheritance, hahahaha...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
If you keg, I recommend a growler with a screw-on top that'll leak air far before it leaks liquid. If you bottle, try to bottle the day before you fly, so you don't have all that pressure build-up from the bottling fermentation, and the trub hasn't yet formed to get all sloshed up.
And of course, wrap the bottles with some towels or something, for padding and to soak up any mishap brew.
Good on ya for sharing your brew with friends/family!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flyin' w/ beer is not a problem ... as the cargo belly's of most airliners are pressurized ... otherwise, the kitty's and doggies would DIE ...

When Coors was a 'big deal' ... (and yes, it used to be :)) ... we carried it in the 'Hell-hole' or 'Bird-cage' of the A-4/A-6 and our 'cargo' made it just fine back to base in those unpressurized spaces.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Never saw a P-3 leave Cubi Point for Diego Garcia without the bomb-bay being full of San Magoo.
You got that right, CWO ... :)

When we went by Diego for a few days in the early '70s ... the only airplane that could get in there and back was the ship's STOOF-COD ... I think they had a 5000' crushed coral/Marston matting runway ...

Some guys @ Diego came out to the ship for a day trip ... think of it as a 'field trip' ... they were kinda' Sailor-of-the-Month types ... just to get a 'real' shower and some ship's ice cream.

Ahhhhhhhh ... basics. When it counts ... :)