• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying the mh53e

68mustang

I want to fly helos in the navy and I was wondering how often sea dragon pilots fly and how often they are deployed and for how long?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m sure someone with more expertise will chime in shortly, but I would advise against wishing for MH-53s. The aircraft are old and broken and the Navy isn’t planning on buying new replacements, and the mine clearance mission is (supposedly) being given to other platforms.

If you have your heart set on flying Navy helos, research the HSM (Helicopter Maritime Strike) community and the MH-60R. If it’s CH-53s that appeal to you, join the Marines and you may eventually have the chance to fly brand new CH-53Ks.

Edit: I thought I’d seen the most recent community sundown date in another thread, and I found it. Looks like the current plan is to get rid of them by 2025. Of course that’s (like everything else in the Navy) subject to change, but being that you’re 16, you wouldn’t even be out of flight school in time.

Last edited:

68mustang

yeah I have also read a lot of bad things about them. I would only try and go that route if the navy replaces them with the king stallion.

68mustang

I have been doing reading a few things that the navy is considering buying the CH53K but don’t know much about it. I would love to fly a barn but I also read something that the mh53e pilots don’t fly as much and don’t get deployed as often as other chopper pilots.

i would only consider going the big helo route if the navy buys the king stallion. If not I would love to go hsc, or hsm squadron route. I just think it would be bad ass to fly a barn. But I have a few more years to think about it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good luck kid. Glad you are interested. You will find a place. Just keep doing well in school.