• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flying on us air from dayton to philly on monday, 1/23

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot's comments are spot on.

I may have been the world's best f'n aviator in all of recent history – military and civilian - with thousands of hours of experience. But given all the changes and new pressures upon upgrade to Captain, and considering a new reserve captain has to fly with an inexperienced new-hire off the street and often in the middle of the night in the worst weather imaginable, those extra "high minimums" are a god-send.... not for me, of course :cool: ......but for your 'more average' former Naval aviator.
Besides, rules is rules (thankfully!).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Hal,
Do airlines require the pilot in a particular seat to land (with pax on board) or can the crew decide.
In helos, we train to land from each seat, but I realize the airlines are very different in a lot of ways.

So, assuming that nothing has happened, like a pilot getting sick in-flight, are you restricted to always having the left (or right) seat pilot land?

Fallonflyr

pilot
Hal,
Do airlines require the pilot in a particular seat to land (with pax on board) or can the crew decide.
In helos, we train to land from each seat, but I realize the airlines are very different in a lot of ways.

So, assuming that nothing has happened, like a pilot getting sick in-flight, are you restricted to always having the left (or right) seat pilot land?

Capt always lands from the left seat and the F/O always lands from the right. We usually take every other leg and use the terms PF (pilot flying) and PNF (pilot not flying). As I recall, Boeings only have a ground steering tiller on the left. The Airbus has a tiller on both sides but my company SOP only allows the Capt to taxi.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Capt always lands from the left seat and the F/O always lands from the right. We usually take every other leg and use the terms PF (pilot flying) and PNF (pilot not flying). As I recall, Boeings only have a ground steering tiller on the left. The Airbus has a tiller on both sides but my company SOP only allows the Capt to taxi.

So you can have thousands of hours in type having never taxied the aircraft? That blows my mind.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So you can have thousands of hours in type having never taxied the aircraft? That blows my mind.
Yup. The only Boeing I know with a tiller on both sides is the 747. However before you go flying off on your own as a Captain, you will have done IOE with a checkairman Captain who will teach you to taxi the beast.

Like Fallonflyr said, Capt flies left seat and FO flies right seat. However, at my airline if a checkairman (qualified in both seats) is flying, he can let a FO fly from the left seat if he wants. I've never seen it happen and never heard of any FO ever wanting/asking to do this.

As an FO, if my Captain became incapacitated I would land from the right as that is what I'm used to. I'd stop the aircraft on the runway and have it towed.

ryan1234

Yup. The only Boeing I know with a tiller on both sides is the 747. However before you go flying off on your own as a Captain, you will have done IOE with a checkairman Captain who will teach you to taxi the beast.

Like Fallonflyr said, Capt flies left seat and FO flies right seat. However, at my airline if a checkairman (qualified in both seats) is flying, he can let a FO fly from the left seat if he wants. I've never seen it happen and never heard of any FO ever wanting/asking to do this.

As an FO, if my Captain became incapacitated I would land from the right as that is what I'm used to. I'd stop the aircraft on the runway and have it towed.

Hal,

At your airline, do they give a PIC type to the FO?

Definitely different from 121 and varying greatly, in our part 91 business jet operations, seat swapping is very common. Flying, for us, is usually seat dependent, but not always. It seems like it integrates the crew a good bit and keeps everyone sharp. Not to mention, jumping in the left seat usually gives the FO/SIC a break from doing all of the work.:)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

So the FO is in the right seat for every flight until he flys in the role of Captain? You guys don't swap seats between legs?

I just always assumed the two pilots would swap sides for different flights and like in helos the pilot in a particular seat (for us it's the right seat) will normally make the landing.

Learn something new everyday!

Fallonflyr

pilot

You would also tell them to take their time on that tow in because that Capt is most likely senior to you.;)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The first time in the left seat during upgrade usually starts out poorly.
Most all fumble around trying to get their seat adjusted, since the seat controls are now on the 'wrong' side.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
At your airline, do they give a PIC type to the FO?
On the 767 & A330 - yes if they want it (95% do). On the 717 - no. We fly a lot of 8+ hour flights that require at least 2 type rated pilots so one will be at a set of controls at all times. Mostly this is a typed FO (but sometimes it will be a second Captain) that we call an IRO or International Relief Officer. He'll relieve both the FO and Captain at the controls so no one is there more than 8 hours (company/contractural limit not FAR. FAR for 3 man crew is just 12 hours of flight time with nothing about time at the controls).
So the FO is in the right seat for every flight until he flys in the role of Captain? You guys don't swap seats between legs?
FO is always right, Captain is always left. No seat swaps.
The first time in the left seat during upgrade usually starts out poorly.
Most all fumble around trying to get their seat adjusted, since the seat controls are now on the 'wrong' side.
True, but those of us flying IRO fumble a little bit less.