• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

punx_clever

I'm going to start this off by making a point that I'm not going to discuss who this was, where it occurred exactly, or any circumstances surrounding the incident. I also won't speculate as to what went wrong. "Just the facts, ma'am."

A student on their first solo in a C172 suddenly veered off the runway to the left about 750 feet into the takeoff roll. The plane continued across the grass and hit a berm before the taxiway apparently shearing the nose gear off. The aircraft stopped after crossing the taxiway, nose in the dirt. To the best of my knowledge, the student escaped the aircraft safely without injury. There was no engine fire. There was no obvious damage to the airport.

Just a reminder that we are engaged in a dangerous business regardless of what we are flying. All of you in or about to go through IFS should take note of the seriousness and suddenness of what happened. We are up there in these planes that are, in all respects, very safe... but mechanical or human errors can happen at any time, and we need to be ready for when, not if, they do.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Yes its dangerous...while I was sitting at my ROTC unit waiting for API back in 2003 my CO came in and told me a situation very, VERY similar to your story with a Marine SNA. He died unfortunately in the mishap. First taste. And in my short aviation stint lost more than a few classmates that I knew personally and also that i did not know. God Bless those that put their lives on the line. and be safe out there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to start this off by making a point that I'm not going to discuss who this was, where it occurred exactly, or any circumstances surrounding the incident....Just a reminder that we are engaged in a dangerous business.... you ... should take note of the seriousness and suddenness of what happened. We are up there in these planes that are, in all respects, very safe... but mechanical or human errors can happen at any time, and we need to be ready for when, not if, they do.
Thank you ... we will keep that in mind.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.