• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying CWO Program

bobbybrock

None
I saw that the program got axed. Was wondering what was behind it? Was the shortage filled and there just isn't a need anymore.?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Forcasting retention getting much worse as the new 8yr commitment guys start to punch and them needing more traditional career path guys to stick around and feel the pain of the standard career progression so they can maintain their low selection rates in the ADHSB.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
It's hard to keep a program around when there are only around 50 of us selected for it over a period of 6 years. It was a great(yet limited) opportunity for those of us that were given the chance. Unfortunately a certain few have left a poor perception of the program as a whole. At least in one community.. It's been a blast otherwise.

exNavyOffRec

It's hard to keep a program around when there are only around 50 of us selected for it over a period of 6 years. It was a great(yet limited) opportunity for those of us that were given the chance. Unfortunately a certain few have left a poor perception of the program as a whole. At least in one community.. It's been a blast otherwise.

I remember reading this at one point, but what types of aircraft did they send flying CWO's to?

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
3 of them came to my last squadron to fly/navigate P-3's with varying degrees of success.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
3 of them came to my last squadron to fly/navigate P-3's with varying degrees of success.

That can be said about all the Junior Officers and Department Heads as well. Realistically, it was a half assed program that was too small to make a difference in community landscape. They're better off being sent to the fleet as winged ensigns from a personnel management standpoint.

Renegade One

None
They're better off being sent to the fleet as winged ensigns from a personnel management standpoint.
Hey, now…I was a "winged Ensign (NFO)" for my first full squadron deployment… ;) A year and a half later, I reported to the F-4 FRS as a two-cruise, combat-experienced LTJG instructor RIO. Times have changed, I imagine.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember reading this at one point, but what types of aircraft did they send flying CWO's to?

I'm aware of CWO's that went helos and P-3's. I never met any in flight school, as the program was just starting, but I have run into a few amongst the helo squadrons in our airwing.

WRT the comment about sending them to the fleet as winged ENS's.....maybe I just don't understand the manning process, or the reasons behind the flying CWO, but if their intent was to fill cockpits and improve DH selection rates/retention, this seems like it would have the opposite effect with the way they are ending the program. All of a sudden there will be that many more LT's competing for XXXX community DH billets, etc. I could be way off base here, I'm just a silly JO mind you :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm aware of CWO's that went helos and P-3's. I never met any in flight school, as the program was just starting, but I have run into a few amongst the helo squadrons in our airwing.

WRT the comment about sending them to the fleet as winged ENS's.....maybe I just don't understand the manning process, or the reasons behind the flying CWO, but if their intent was to fill cockpits and improve DH selection rates/retention, this seems like it would have the opposite effect with the way they are ending the program. All of a sudden there will be that many more LT's competing for XXXX community DH billets, etc. I could be way off base here, I'm just a silly JO mind you :)

Bonus take levels are at record lows, and guys are being told they need to opt in for the DH board or resign. Hi op tempo, 9+ month CVN deployments, reduced flight hours back home and a ton of BS combined with lack luster community management and marginal bonus are causing helo and p3 dudes to jump ship. Those communities need the traditional JO billets back to feed into O4 and DH and later.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey, now…I was a "winged Ensign (NFO)" for my first full squadron deployment… ;) A year and a half later, I reported to the F-4 FRS as a two-cruise, combat-experienced LTJG instructor RIO. Times have changed, I imagine.

That is pretty rare these days. Most dudes are JGs by the time they hit the fleet. Being a winged ENS obviously worked out for your career ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That is pretty rare these days. Most dudes are JGs by the time they hit the fleet. Being a winged ENS obviously worked out for your career ;)

Especially for VFA......I don't think it is even theoretically possible to get to the fleet as an ENS, and many don't even make it as a JG. Just to compare to RO's (VF) experience

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was a winged ENS for a year in a fleet seat. Wings & Commission together, then straight to fleet squadron VF-94 (FJ-3M Furys, pre-FRS). As you say, between delays/pools in TraCom, and ~10-14 mos FRS, Nevah Hoppin' today boysan'!
VF-94 FJ-3M  c. 1958.jpg
Most dudes are JGs by the time they hit the fleet.
Depending on WX, A/C availability, new aircraft intro problems... quite a few are even LTs by the time they're called up to the "Bigs".;)

In my squadron in '66, we had a winged ENS, who had logged 50- "green entries by the time he made JG!:eek:
BzB

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What can I say…small competitive group!

Ehhhh, they all get P's anyway. Ranking among Ensigns and virtue among whores being what it is....

That being said in VP-land I've seen a bunch of NFOs check in as Ensigns and stay that way for a 4-5 months if they managed to have no gaps between commissioning/IFS/API/primary/30. Being near the end of the alphabet every step of the way I ran into the "well, we had too many people for this class, so we're just going to cut the last couple people at the end, you'll be in the next class up." So I was a JG when I hit my squadron. Worked out for me in the end though, getting to transition and all...