• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying billets after your first helo tour

1rotorhead

pilot
They have their own UIC, just like Strike Fighter Weapons School. Should be HSM weapons school atlantic fleet.

jpmizzou

pilot
What about the exchange with AF and Army? Any way to do a tour with their special ops side of the house?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
jpmizzou said:
What about the exchange with AF and Army? Any way to do a tour with their special ops side of the house?

I know for a fact that the skipper of HC-4 did just that as an O-4...

1rotorhead

pilot
I know some guys who did exchanges with the AF, mostly flying at their 60G RAG. If you want to fly with the army, get in line. We've been trying to crack that nut for years. Navy won't support it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interesting though a number of TARS and SELRES types from HCS-4 and 5 have had interviews with 160th SOAR. The word is the path would be resign from Nav and direct CW2 to Army.

1rotorhead

pilot
Don't know many O's who would do that unfortunately. We've been trying to get active guys there for a while. The army is for it, but the navy won't send anyone. The answer has always been that the navy doesn't get anything out of it.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
We've had an slot in the assault company for years that has gone unfilled for years precisely as Rotor stated. The AH-6 slot is always manned by a USMC MAJ. Yeah, I'm not sure what the Navy would get our of it except future policy makers with a vast understanding of joint special operations, not to mention at least 2 additional aircraft qualifications (MH-60, MH-47).

Although interestingly enough, the Navy has no opportunities for us (160th) guys to go to a fleet squadron for a year or two, which could also be mutually beneficial.

1rotorhead

pilot
Trust me, that's been our argument for a while. Would hate to have some actual experience doing special ops in the fleet. The answer is always "that wouldn't be good for your career".

Stearmann4

None
A few months ago, I saw we picked up a USMC CPT 46' driver at WTI who's now going through our pipeline (as a CW2). We also had a USCG (HITRON) LT who's now flying gunships, and a Navy LT who screened, but I don't believe got picked up. If you're willing to take a commision as a CW2(with CW3 in 2 years) you will have a great time, lotsa flying, no non-flying collateral duties. We also have the 25K bonus in full effect for all 160th aviators. You're eligibile the day you graduate from Green Plt. (basic A/C and mission qualification training) Best of all, as a warrant in the 160th, once in a company (similiar in organization to a detachment), you can stay there for as long as you like. I know senior CW5s (equivelent to an O-6) who are still flying daily in assault companies, and have had the same desk for 12-15 years, paid off the house, and put kids through school without ever moving.

Locations are somewhat limited being Savannah, GA, Ft Campbell, KY, and Ft Lewis, WA. (The best deal I think) Plus, there are other units associated with TF and SOCOM you can go to for a change of pace. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but just my pitch to preclude any misinformation running about the rumor mill.

Mike-

1rotorhead

pilot
I've worked with a bunch of you guys who love it. Would prefer to see the Navy create their own Spec Ops helo unit. Kind of in the same ilk as HAL 3.

Stearmann4

None
You can't imagine how many times that pipe dream has been revived for a year or two, then killed again. The bottom line is the Navy won't give up aircraft and crews to SOCOM. Even with SOCOM funding that's still a large number of pilots, crewman, amd maint folks taken out of the fleet system. Secondly, SOCOM plans to make the Army the sole R/W spec ops unit in the military, with the AF taking their F/W chunk, etc. We have no idea where that leaves the USMC (MARSOC), and Navy.I don't think they plan that far ahead. It would actually be a great relief to have another couple of spec ops helo units in theater to do general spec ops suppoprt, as our OPTEMPO is running crews and aircraft into the ground. On that note, special ops was never equipped or manned to support a long term campaign. Get in, do the deed, break the back and turn the theater over to conventional forces. I can't discuss numbers, but you'd be surprised how few aircraft we have compared to our committments.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Stearmann4 said:
A few months ago, I saw we picked up a USMC CPT 46' driver at WTI who's now going through our pipeline (as a CW2). We also had a USCG (HITRON) LT who's now flying gunships, and a Navy LT who screened, but I don't believe got picked up. If you're willing to take a commision as a CW2(with CW3 in 2 years) you will have a great time, lotsa flying, no non-flying collateral duties. We also have the 25K bonus in full effect for all 160th aviators. You're eligibile the day you graduate from Green Plt. (basic A/C and mission qualification training) Best of all, as a warrant in the 160th, once in a company (similiar in organization to a detachment), you can stay there for as long as you like. I know senior CW5s (equivelent to an O-6) who are still flying daily in assault companies, and have had the same desk for 12-15 years, paid off the house, and put kids through school without ever moving.

Locations are somewhat limited being Savannah, GA, Ft Campbell, KY, and Ft Lewis, WA. (The best deal I think) Plus, there are other units associated with TF and SOCOM you can go to for a change of pace. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but just my pitch to preclude any misinformation running about the rumor mill.

Mike-

Man, this is all very interesting stuff. You need to put more of this over at the Transition forum, as well.

The way I understand the law, if you resign out of the Navy as a LT, then put on CW2 and hit 20, you still retire as an O-3, since it's "highest grade held." Anyone know otherwise? So do you have to earn back your HAC quals? I'm guessing yes, since the mission is totally different than what we do.

Stearmann4

None
You're correct, you will retire at the highest grade attained. But if you make CW4/5 it may be a better deal than O-3. I can only say that our mission and they way we do business is completely different than Naval Aviation. Army aviation in general, our requirements, plus the added dimension of possibly transitioning to a completely different a/c (i.e. MH/AH-6, MH-47E/G, MH-60L/K/M) neccesitate spending some time as a co-pilot before getting designated as a PC(HAC) For experienced guys, you're probably looking anywhere from 7 to 12 months for PC. However as a PC you can't command and a/c carrying customers, just internal training. Being able to be a HAC doing customer support requires an FMQ qual(Fully mission capable) which entails experiencing all the customers and environments. The timeline is completely self driven. Some guys make it in a year or less, some more.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That makes total sense, thanks. Any chance you can put airframes w/ those duty stations, or is it better not to? Yeah, I can search, but thought it might be quicker and more accurate coming from you.

Stearmann4

None
Ft Campbell, KY: A/MH-6, MH-60K/L, MH-47E
Savannah, GA: MH-60L, MH-47G
Ft Lewis, WA: MH-47G, MH-60M