• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Fly Navy" Chryslers Plymouths 1960s-1970s recruiting cars

brikut

Hi All,
I'm trying to find out about Chrysler & Plymouth convertibles used for recruiting in the 1960s and 1970s. These cars had "Fly Navy" lettering and other graphics and usually were white. These cars were sponsored by the Navy League and were used for less than a year then replaced the following year with a new model. In the late 1960s, about 18 vehicles went out each year to NAS / NARTUs across the country. I own a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible that was a "Fly Navy" car here in Seattle. I'm trying to find photos of these cars wearing their "Fly Navy" lettering and would like to connect with other owners. I'm also interested in any stories about how and where these cars were used. Thanks!
-Brian

brownshoe

Contributor
Hi All,
I'm trying to find out about Chrysler & Plymouth convertibles used for recruiting in the 1960s and 1970s. These cars had "Fly Navy" lettering and other graphics and usually were white. These cars were sponsored by the Navy League and were used for less than a year then replaced the following year with a new model. In the late 1960s, about 18 vehicles went out each year to NAS / NARTUs across the country. I own a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda convertible that was a "Fly Navy" car here in Seattle. I'm trying to find photos of these cars wearing their "Fly Navy" lettering and would like to connect with other owners. I'm also interested in any stories about how and where these cars were used. Thanks!
-Brian

Download this PDF and scroll down to page 28, interesting article. (Takes forever to load, be patient.) Sorry no pictures though.

Steve

www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1960s/1969/jan69.pdf

edit: added link

http://www.skyhawk.org/5e/g139919/html/139934.htm

brikut

Thanks! I saw that recently and am trying to find a hard copy of that issue. Still looking for other photos, hopefully ones that have navy pilots standing by the car.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Back in the 50's and up through the early 70's the Navy sponsored the National Model Airplane Championships. These were usually held at NAS Willow Grove and NAS Glenview (alternately) and were great recruiting events. I have a picture of me about 8 years old sitting in a T-34B and standing next to P-2V's and such so it worked for me :D . I recall seeing one of these cars at one at Glenview although all I recall was it was a convertible.

The Academy of Model Aeronautics was the organization that ran these (and still does) and they have pretty decent history program so they may have some info or photo's of the cars. Their history website is at

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/history.aspx

They might be able to help. The other place to go would be the Naval History Center at http://www.history.navy.mil/ they've been very helpful when I had questions.