• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FLRAA and FARA update

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would love to see the CABs adopt a workout cycle more akin to you guys going to the MEU decks for months prior to and not trying what we normally do of “maintain everything at all times” that results in maintaining almost nothing. The unpredictable nature of deployments though just make that impossible. Army Force Gen cycles are written entirely for ground units and the CAB organic to a division is always left out somewhere in space to meet other deployment readiness requirements or just produce a task force to help support training/CTCs/etc.

With regards to FVL, most of us don’t believe the thing will fly for more than a year before somebody bellies one doing traffic patterns for progression, and suddenly an AWR is written to pin the gear down and pull a CB so they stay that way. One guy craps his pants… but anybody watching Ukraine right now validating some of the COAs on the distance at which your security requirement forces you to back off realizes we have to get faster longer legs or we simply cannot be used in LSCO. Our aircraft are too complex and maintenance intensive to simply live with the ground elements and we have too much ass to be flexible and mobile. The TAA will be too far for a 120-140kt platform to actually affect anything in the fight.

ARSOA on the other hand will have no issue with this aircraft. In a lot of ways as long as it still has some useful ACL after they bolt all the mission equipment to it, it will finally get the 60s back into the show. Likewise if CSAR gets into this there may actually be options for recovery not limited by an overweight 60 airframe trying to do a 53 job.
Unless Army Aviation is far worse than I thought, they’ll be fine.

Most of the original V-22 community was CH-46E guys—the biggest knuckle-draggers in the Wing. I can say that because I was one.

Big Army must think it can handle the future, since it bought the tiltrotor. If it doesn’t use that capability, it’d better be prepared for irrelevance, since practically no Pacific islands are H-60 range apart.

If anything, I worry about ARSOC acceptance. They’re so used to landing on the X next to mud huts that they may not be ready for big boy wars that need something bigger than a Little Bird.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If anything, I worry about ARSOC acceptance. They’re so used to landing on the X next to mud huts that they may not be ready for big boy wars that need something bigger than a Little Bird.

Isn't that what MH-47Gs and big motor MH-60Ms with tanking is for? They seem able to adapt quicker than big Army (helps to have a basically infinite pool of money).

Lawman

None
Isn't that what MH-47Gs and big motor MH-60Ms with tanking is for? They seem able to adapt quicker than big Army (helps to have a basically infinite pool of money).
It’s not the pool of money, it’s the size of the fleet for implementation.

There are ~80-85 aircraft across 4 battalions that SIMO is responsible for after the H6 guys, and those don’t really require anything… that’s not even half the aircraft in a regular active Army CAB.

SIMO can test, decide, order, and install across the entire MH47 fleet and it’s essentially a single Battalions worth of aircraft. The only real delay is that the facility for mods is only so many bays and so much manpower, and you can’t simply stop meeting mission and training requirements to mod the fleet all at once.