• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Florida vs Texas for tax benefits

incubus852

pilot
I recency changed my residency to Florida. Once I got an apartment I brought in my driver's license, passport (not military ID, won't work), registration, title and proof of insurance. 130 bucks later I walked away with my Florida driver's license, plates and no state income tax. Later I went to PSD and filled out a simple form declaring Florida as my state of residency. Not that difficult of a task but it can save a lot of money for an hour or two of time.

perfect. that's exactly what i want to do. now i just have to wait on the cal dmv to send me my damn title :icon_rage

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Oh yes, make sure you tell them you are Navy and you get 100 bucks off the title fee.

OldNavy

I changed my state of residency from NJ to TX when I got stationed in Corpus in '73. Carried that with me until I retired in VA in '95, and then promptly moved to FL!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Most, if not all, states don't make you pay sales tax on a car purchased out of state when you register it in the state. You just have to show you paid taxes in the state you bought it in. I'm gonna assume that you paid sales tax on the cars you bought in whatever state it was?
Not true, I did it on my recent purchase.

http://www.brevardtaxcollector.com/salescht.htm

NOTE: An exception may apply, if a member of the United States military, who is a permanent Florida resident, is stationed outside Florida, purchases a vehicle outside of Florida and titles and registers the vehicle in Florida. The transfer of title and registration of the vehicle is not subject to Florida sales and use tax if the military member provides documentation that the vehicle will not be brought into Florida within six months. Acceptable documentation would be a copy of the military member's military orders and an affidavit stating the vehicle will not be brought into Florida within six months.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I changed to Texas and then to Florida during training. Did the first change for tax free, the second one because I was going to be in FL for a few years(minuse a year or so in Maine) and I figured I might as well use FL. As others have said the tax laws are pretty much the same but when I switched, my car registration fee was about $40 cheaper per year in FL and I don't have to have a front license plate like in TX.

mrtorso11

Education

There is a Texas law on the books that applies if you are a Texas resident BEFORE you sign your enlistment papers that says whenever you go back to school you can get some sweet hooks ups. Think it even applies to MBA, Law school etc as long as its a Public university. Not sure how the link thing works but here's a try. If not google Hazlewood act. Might help anyone looking for ways to pay for college doing one of the BDCP or enlist in college Navy programs they have out there too. Cheers.Reference below.

http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/

Hazlewood Act
(TEXAS EDUCATION CODE)

Wartime veterans of the Spanish-American War through the Persian Gulf War, who were legal residents of Texas at the time they entered military service may be entitled to a waiver of tuition and some fees at State-supported/public (taxpayer supported) colleges and universities (this link takes you to "College for Texans"). This benefit is also available to children of Texas servicemen and women who died or were killed in military service, and to children of Texas military personnel who are shown to be missing in action or prisoners of war. Also eligible are children of members of the Texas National Guard or the Texas Air National Guard killed since January 1, 1946, while on active duty either in service of Texas or the United States.

Anyone who wants to apply for the Hazlewood Act does so directly at the State supported/public (taxpayer supported) school they wish to attend. All students who wish to use the Hazlewood Act are required to complete a Hazlewood Application (this link takes you to a PDF file on the “College for Texans" website); you can also acquire an application directly from the school. Any person claiming this benefit must have exhausted Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education benefits. These benefits are Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30); Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32); Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606); and Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607).

Below outlines Chapter 54 of the Texas Education Code. The Hazlewood Act is administered by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Information regarding THECB's Community and Technical Colleges Division (this link takes you to "College for Texans") and the Texas State Technical Colleges (TSTC) if provided by these links.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not true, I did it on my recent purchase.

http://www.brevardtaxcollector.com/salescht.htm

NOTE: An exception may apply, if a member of the United States military, who is a permanent Florida resident, is stationed outside Florida, purchases a vehicle outside of Florida and titles and registers the vehicle in Florida. The transfer of title and registration of the vehicle is not subject to Florida sales and use tax if the military member provides documentation that the vehicle will not be brought into Florida within six months. Acceptable documentation would be a copy of the military member's military orders and an affidavit stating the vehicle will not be brought into Florida within six months.

That makes sense, but did you pay any tax on the vehicle in the state you bought it in?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
That makes sense, but did you pay any tax on the vehicle in the state you bought it in?
No. When they ask where you are going to title the vehicle and you tell them a state other than the one you are purchasing it in, they do not collect sales tax. It is paperweork intensive but I can aid you in all the documents you need when the time comes.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
No. When they ask where you are going to title the vehicle and you tell them a state other than the one you are purchasing it in, they do not collect sales tax. It is paperweork intensive but I can aid you in all the documents you need when the time comes.

Hmm, didn't know that, that's good to know. That can save a fella quite a bit of money!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Florida Military Sales and Useage Tax Exemption

Hmm, didn't know that, that's good to know. That can save a fella quite a bit of money!
Gather all of this documentation and send it to your County Tax collector where your residence declared. PM me to give me my 20% finders fee;)

Affidavit for Exemption from Sales and Use Tax
Copy of Military orders Assigning outside the State of Florida
Copy of Military ID; Copy of Florida Drivers License
Application for Certificate of Title with Registration
Signed Title of Purchased Vehicle
Military Insurance Exemption Affidavit
Proof of Insurance for the State of Mississippi or other state
Affidavit for Tag transfer
Initial Registration Fee Exemption Affidavit
VIN Verification on Letterhead of Dealer/Signed by Dealer (you have to ask for this)
Odometer Statement
Copy of bill of sale
Copy of Lienholder address and lienholder code.
View attachment Military Exemption Affadavit.doc

View attachment MILPAK.pdf

View attachment affidavitfortagtransfer.doc

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread resurrection- I'm PCSing to Pcola in 2 weeks and looking to register to vote and register my car ASAP when I get down there. I don't have a placed lined up to live yet, so I have a question on my address when I register to vote. If you're military it says you don't need a FL driver's license in order to register to vote, so if I don't have an apartment, can I use the mailing address they give us for API on that form when I register? Normally this wouldn't be a big issue because I could just wait until I get an apartment, but in order to vote in this election I must be registered by October 6, or only 5 days after I arrive. Given that I'm going to vote for McCain I'd prefer to vote in Florida rather than the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.

invictus

One other note in favor of Florida over Texas: Texas has an annual vehicle inspection sticker that you must pay for. Florida, at the present time, does not.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Another benefit of Florida is that you can register to vote in a state where every election is fairly close...regardless of yer party affiliation it makes you feel like yer vote counted that little bit extra (as opposed to voting in CA where every election goes the same way on the Presidential level)...:D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Advice from a guy with a Texas ID card and a FL driver's license:

Go With Florida.

Everything can be done online, instantly. Licenses, car registration renewal, absentee ballots.

FL has the best system I've dealt with, hands down.

OldNavy

Oh yes, make sure you tell them you are Navy and you get 100 bucks off the title fee.

Also, if you are a fisherman / hunter, check out Florida's "Military Sportsman's Gold" license. Freshwater / Saltwater w/ all stamps + hunting for $20.00 a year. About 1/4 the price of the regular Sportsman's Gold license. Active duty and retired are eligible.