• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Florida vehicle Taxes

S.O.B.

pilot
This sounded to good to be true but appears legit: if you joined the Navy in Florida, are a Florida resident, purchase a car outside of Florida and register it in Florida you are exempt from sales tax. The Florida DMV concurs with the stipulation that you don't take the car to Florida for six months.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
It was posted on here, and links were provided with supporting documents. Search FLYTPAY's posts if you cannot find it, as he is the one who provided the info.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
This sounded to good to be true but appears legit: if you joined the Navy in Florida, are a Florida resident, purchase a car outside of Florida and register it in Florida you are exempt from sales tax. The Florida DMV concurs with the stipulation that you don't take the car to Florida for six months.

Well, sort of.

Someone's going to get sales tax on it. Having been born/raised in Florida, having always been a state resident, and having bought numerous cars out of state that were subsequently titled/registered in Florida, you'll have to pay tax but only in one location. Our latest was just a few years ago, and the rules were that as long as the tax collected at the sale was equal to the amount that would have been collected on a sale in Florida, then no additional tax/registration beyond the standard tag/title fees is collected. After that, it is just a matter of renewing the tag each year. Our last buy in Maryland, the dealer even went as far to collect the tax at the Florida rate (vice Maryland's), contact the Florida DMV, obtain the titling/registration paperwork, and fill it out/file it for us. A few weeks later, our Florida registration arrived in the mail.

...that is unless something has changed recently in Florida state law...

S.O.B.

pilot
Look at the list of Qualifying Military Exemptions. I may be missing something but neither Florida or the dealer is charging me taxes. Like I said I think it's too good to be true.

Attachments

• MILPAK.pdf
    410.8 KB · Views: 93

irontri

We just did it.

The rules were that my orders are for OUTSIDE of Florida and we can only drive the car into Florida for vacations or visits or something like that. We were also not required to have Florida car insurance.

You/we are also exempted from paying that initial Florida $100 registration fee that goes along with the other $70-100 for your new registration.

BTW, I am stationed in NC and have NC insurance so all was good.

Goober

None
Look at the list of Qualifying Military Exemptions. I may be missing something but neither Florida or the dealer is charging me taxes. Like I said I think it's too good to be true.

Ok, the forms have changed a little bit, but essentially the $100 initial registration fee is being waived - not sales tax. BIG difference.

If you don't pay sales tax on the purchase, the state will charge you the tax when you register it at the rate of whatever county you register it in (home of record-wise). From the Escambia County Tax Collector website:

Sales and Use Tax

The State of Florida has a state sales and use tax of 6% that, as an agent for the Florida Department of Revenue, the Tax Collector collects on transactions where applicable. Escambia County has an additional 1½% local option tax on the first $5,000, for a maximum of $75. Sales tax is collected when a customer transfers title to a motor vehicle, vessel, or mobile home. NOTE: If a vehicle is traded in, sales tax is collected on the difference between the price of the vehicle and the gross trade in allowance.

As long as the out-of-state dealer charges an equal or greater amount of tax on the sale, you'll owe no additional tax when you title/register the car. If not, you'll be charged the difference (if not enough was taxed) or the full amount (if no tax was paid on the sale at all). Happens all the time when folks go across the state line and buy cars and bring back to register at home. Two choices really: pay the tax now at the sale or pay it when you register it if the bill of sale doesn't indicate it.

Goober

None
We just did it.

The rules were that my orders are for OUTSIDE of Florida and we can only drive the car into Florida for vacations or visits or something like that. We were also not required to have Florida car insurance.

You/we are also exempted from paying that initial Florida $100 registration fee that goes along with the other $70-100 for your new registration.

BTW, I am stationed in NC and have NC insurance so all was good.

Sounds like you got lucky then. I've had them calculate the amount of tax I paid out of state vs. the Florida rate right in front of me when registering new cars on multiple occasions (sometimes costing me the difference on the spot), and each time it's the same routine. Enjoy the cash! :)

S.O.B.

pilot
Sounds like you got lucky then. I've had them calculate the amount of tax I paid out of state vs. the Florida rate right in front of me when registering new cars on multiple occasions (sometimes costing me the difference on the spot), and each time it's the same routine. Enjoy the cash! :)

So you're registering the car in FL? It seems cut and dry on the last document that you shouldn't be paying tax.

Goober

None
I left this one out.

"Once again, things that could've been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!" :D

That form (both actually) are from 2008, so that's after the last time we had to register a car (2006 for us I think). Looks like a good deal then.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
We bought my wife's motorcycle from a private owner in WA recently, regestered it in FL. Nobody received sales tax, can't ride it in FL for 6 months. Great deal.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
can you buy a car in delaware (no sales tax), wait 6 months and bring it to florida free and clear?

Carlos Caliente

None

Bullet 4 on that dpcument says sales tax will be collected in the purchase state if not in FL...am I missing something here? I would then think that this would be legit if you purchased the car in a state that has no sales tax, say Oregon.