• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flooding In the South Going to Affect Navy OCS Applications

beaverslayer

pilot
The first thing I saw after clicking your link: "Naval Support Activity Mid-South, home of Navy Recruiting Command, experienced major flooding over the weekend. This probably won't affect NUPOC applications in the long term. I'm sure we will find a way to work around the cleanup but it might take a couple of days the get applicant processing moving smoothly again."

Sounds like they don't think it will affect anything in the long term. In the next couple days/weeks they won't be reviewing applications, but overall it's nothing for applicants to worry about.

A

AlexSmart

I was submitting some stuff at my NRD with my OR yesterday. He had a picture showing the entire Millington campus underwater. He didn't seem to think it was going to really have a big effect on the recruiting process though.

Chachi

pilot
Contributor
I was submitting some stuff at my NRD with my OR yesterday. He had a picture showing the entire Millington campus underwater. He didn't seem to think it was going to really have a big effect on the recruiting process though.

My OR at the NRD in Los Angeles sent me an email today but didn't mention anything about the flooding and it's consequences... I guess no news is good news?

AnonymousGuy

None
My recruiter told me he thought it could definitely impact how quickly things are processed...but that's the extent of what I got out of him. I'm waiting on my Final Select...so I hope they get on it soon, but I mostly hope all the personnel and their families weren't too drastically affected by the flooding.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
It is taking it's toll. OR relayed that they can't get clarification of designator for my FS due to the necessary people being unable to show up to work due to the flooding.

Sucks for those who have to deal with that sort of disaster and I can't complain.

C'est la vie.

Standing-by.

bob88899

i dunnio about the flood effecting applications.. but i just graduated OCS... im stuck in newport RI until they clean up millington, and the systems are up to cut me orders.. they told me up to 3 weeks (wtf mates)?.... now im on standby... to standby in pensacola haha... what ever happend to a backup sysytem?

A

AlexSmart

wow you final selected and already graduated, and only pro-rec'd back in November? Thats seems like a really quick turnaround time. I keep hearing stories that one could expect a 6-8 month wait before shipping out, depending on designator.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
To JCUSN: Answered you in PM.

Regarding the follow on postings, I have been in the government for four years; it sucks but, honestly, get used to it. You'd be surprised how antiquated (SP?) some systems are, and that there are no fail-safes to back them up. One thing probably relies on another and there is an overall domino effect.

Just keep in mind, and I do not mean to sound patronizing, that there are a lot of people dealing with getting their lives back in order in TN. Sucks for everyone but it is what it is.

Congrats on the commission too!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
RDML Shoemaker (head o' the detailers) had this to say on Facebook:

PERS-4 said:
From the Head Detailer to the Fleet, 09 May 2010:

First, I’d like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the Fleet for the many messages of support we’ve received over the last week. As you can see from the photographs posted on this Facebook page, everyone in our NPC community has been working extremely hard taking care of our families affected by the flooding and getting services back to the Fleet. We’ve made tremendous progress cleaning and restoring our office spaces, but there is much work remaining.

Here’s a status report on Detailing services as of Friday, 07 May 10:

- We have restored limited order writing operations for emergent issues.
- Cleanup/recovery of affected spaces continues. A few of our Divisions, especially PERS-41 (SWO, EOD, SPECWAR), PERS-43 (Aviation), will be unable to occupy their offices for the foreseeable future. Divisions without physical damage are in a holding pattern waiting for IT services to be restored.
- NMCI e-mail has been restored to nearly all Detailers and Placement Officers/Coordinators. However, access to support systems like CMS/ID as well as Officer and Enlisted assignment software is limited.
- If you need to get in touch with your detailer, contact them by phone or NMCI e-mail first. If you still can’t reach your detailer and you have an emergent issue, contact the NPC help desk at 1-866-U-ASK-NPC. The help desk is functioning for emergencies and anticipates returning to full operations by 10 May.
- Many Enlisted Detailers were affected by flooding in base housing. These Sailors have personal and family issues to manage and will not be available to perform detailing duties for some time.
- Restoration efforts continue for BOL, PRIMS, WERR, NPC NMCI and the NPC website.
- I want to reiterate: If you do not have PCS orders in-hand, DO NOT TRANSFER!

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society remains on-site and is assisting those families most impacted by the flood. Their website – https://www.nmcrs.org/ - has information for those wishing to help our flood victims. All contributions are needed and would be greatly appreciated by our Navy families affected by this disaster. Please pass the word.

I will continue to provide updates as our IT systems come back online as we restore NPC to full detailing operations. Thank you for your patience!

RDML Mike Shoemaker
PERS-4

Takeaways from this: standby to standby unless you have orders in hand or are slated to go to a critical billet. And, as always, give to NMCRS.

AnonymousGuy

None
So exactly what division is responsible for issuing Final Select letters and holding Selection Boards? Anyone have any idea if those divisions are completely shutdown?

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Navy.mil said they postponed E-8 and O-4 selection boards as well because of this.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Navy.mil said they postponed E-8 and O-4 selection boards as well because of this.

I think Navy.mil meant to say FY-11 O-4 Staff board delayed. Board was to convene 5/11. The FY-11 O-4 line Board has already reported out and results now sit in CHNAVPERS court.