• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Surgeons Flying?

Rockriver

pilot
I remember someone on this site was talking about flight surgeon(s) that were also A-6 pilots or B/N's, and that it was a long time ago.
That might have been me. I went through advanced in Meridian in '77 with a flight surgeon (and also some Spanish pilots destined for Harriers). He was a full-time SNA, while probably spending some time at the base clinic. We CQ'd on the Lex together in Skyhawks, got winged together, and he was selected for A-6s.

I once asked him what was harder, medical school or navy flight training, and he looked at me as if I had a third eye growing out of my forehead and said "You've got to be shitting me." I guessed it was the former.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I don’t know their training pipeline, but AF flight surgeons most definitely fly after training. All FS’s, regardless of branch, have minimum monthly hours they are required to log in order to continue receiving flight pay.

Depending on the squadron and the individual FS, I’ve seen some only fly the mins while others fly quite a bit. When I was still flying helos we had one who flew so much and got enough experience to act as a crewman.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don’t know their training pipeline, but AF flight surgeons most definitely fly after training. All FS’s, regardless of branch, have minimum monthly hours they are required to log in order to continue receiving flight pay.

Depending on the squadron and the individual FS, I’ve seen some only fly the mins while others fly quite a bit. When I was still flying helos we had one who flew so much and got enough experience to act as a crewman.
15-20 hours of Part 61 Dual in contract SR-22....