• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight slots at TBS?

Zequa

short answer: not many and very competitive

long answer: it differs from company to company and is based on the needs of the Marine Corps...it is also possible to switch to an air contract before TBS and after OCS, assuming of course that you aren't OCC and only have a few weeks between. In the end it all depends on if you are willing to wait / can wait on your OCS slot.

Have you already been selected to go to OCS at a given date?
what year of school are you in?

If you have already been selected and DON'T ship then it will be much harder to get selected next time around. If however you haven't put in any paperwork yet then you can wait and shoot for another class...
holy crap you were in my company...which platoon? PLC/OCC 2003

Recognized that this is quite an old post and I've read it up. Lots of these thoughts are going through my head right now too, as I'm in this boat. I've qualified with the ASTB and flight physical already and trying to get selected for air. I wasn't picked up the last board and I know that flight schools are backed up and slots are being cut down. Does anyone have current info on what the extra air slots are like at TBS right now? Recruiters want me to just go in as ground if not selected for air, as I'm getting old and the numbers for air aren't good right now and I've already qualified and such and just waiting around.. thoughts?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I haven’t been to TBS in a decade but I think I can safely say that’s not a bet I’d be willing to take. I recommend exploring other services if it’s not looking realistic green side

RoarkJr.

Recognized that this is quite an old post and I've read it up. Lots of these thoughts are going through my head right now too, as I'm in this boat. I've qualified with the ASTB and flight physical already and trying to get selected for air. I wasn't picked up the last board and I know that flight schools are backed up and slots are being cut down. Does anyone have current info on what the extra air slots are like at TBS right now? Recruiters want me to just go in as ground if not selected for air, as I'm getting old and the numbers for air aren't good right now and I've already qualified and such and just waiting around.. thoughts?
I went through in 2019. They had everyone interested take the ASTB, then those that passed were up for comp air. No guarantees on slots available, if any, but it's possible to get if you're willing to push at TBS to be competitive. Slots are dished out by company, if I'm not mistaken, so hard to tell.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Pretty simple. If you want to go ground, go ground. If you want to go air, go air. If for some reason your number one goal is to be a Marine officer doing anything then put your fate in their hands and hope an air contract finds you. If you do that I’d suggest taking a hard look at a full officer MOS list and realize you may leave TBS with any one of those other than air or law if you’re ground.