• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight slots at TBS?

buhlma

I am forced with a predicament, I am trying to decide wether or not accept going to OCS without an aviation guarentee, I am wondering if any of you have been to TBS and know how many fllight slots are there and how competitive they are. any help would appreciated

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
short answer: not many and very competitive

long answer: it differs from company to company and is based on the needs of the Marine Corps...it is also possible to switch to an air contract before TBS and after OCS, assuming of course that you aren't OCC and only have a few weeks between. In the end it all depends on if you are willing to wait / can wait on your OCS slot.

Have you already been selected to go to OCS at a given date?
what year of school are you in?

If you have already been selected and DON'T ship then it will be much harder to get selected next time around. If however you haven't put in any paperwork yet then you can wait and shoot for another class...

usmc96

Go to OCS/ TBS with a Flight Contract. You are open to every option. You can go to TBS and pick up a flight contract pretty easy. Usually anybody who is doing well at TBS, and qualifies for Air and wants air (Which usually is only about two or three students) will get an air contract. This could be read as being competitive. If you qualify and you want it they will not turn you down. The Marines need aviators, anybody who says different is wrong This applies to NFOs as well.
However, If you already have a Air contract and are doing well in TBS and you want for instance Infantry or intell You can dropp you contract and get that as well. The better you do at TBS the more options you have.
End state if you already have the air contract you have done the hard part. hold on to it untill at least a thrid of the way through TBS and then make a eduacted decision.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
usmc96 said:
Go to OCS/ TBS with a Flight Contract. You are open to every option. You can go to TBS and pick up a flight contract pretty easy. Usually anybody who is doing well at TBS, and qualifies for Air and wants air (Which usually is only about two or three students) will get an air contract. This could be read as being competitive. If you qualify and you want it they will not turn you down. The Marines need aviators, anybody who says different is wrong This applies to NFOs as well.
However, If you already have a Air contract and are doing well in TBS and you want for instance Infantry or intell You can dropp you contract and get that as well. The better you do at TBS the more options you have.
End state if you already have the air contract you have done the hard part. hold on to it untill at least a thrid of the way through TBS and then make a eduacted decision.

Sir, you have an excellent point on the importance of doing well at TBS...I would caution however to everyone else that it doesn't always happen that way and policy changes often...I know more than one person from TBS who wanted to pick up an air contract but there weren't enough "slots" available at the time...I also know others who wanted Infantry and did VERY well at TBS and ended up with ground supply or adjudent. Just be careful...

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
However, If you already have a Air contract and are doing well in TBS and you want for instance Infantry or intell You can dropp you contract and get that as well.

Going through with Delta Co. '05 that policy had changed. The word given to us both at USNA and TBS was that the option of dropping flight contracts was no longer considered kosher. Since flight is a DOR at any time program, the "official policy" is that anyone wanting to drop a contract could do so, but would be unable to compete for a ground MOS, and would be assigned an MOS by HQMC. That said, on day one (well probably 6 or 7) the company XO indicated that if they could find enough ground contracts who wanted flight to take the spots of those wanting to drop flight contracts, they "might" be able to permit the prior flight contracts to compete for an MOS.

To make a short story very long, dropping a flight contract may result in you being assigned an MOS without consideration of what you would like.

usmc96

Some companies at TBS are alotted more slots beacuse they are OCC heavy rather than NAvy/ROTC guys who have had time to decide if they want to fly.

End game is TBS instructors will try to fit the right person into the right job. It is a game though. Students may want Infantry and do well on all your tests but if they don't exude what it is to be an 03 than the instructors will not give it to the student. conversly guys that are the steak head leaders that have trouble with the stubby pencil but are artist with men, mud and a defensive position then they will get that 03 slot. There are no future Chesty Pullers out there that got slighted by the 1/3 system and now they're sitting in a supply depot.

Of many tangents because it is Friday, If a student is an air contract and does **** hot in TBS and decideds he has too much testosterone and wants to drop his conract to go 03 he will have a good idea from his instructors that he fits the part and will get it. TBS instructors want what is best for the Corps.

buhlma

Thanks for your reply, short answer to your questions I graduated from PLC/OCC in the summer of 2003, but i was dropped from the program for not having 12 hours the next semester, I graduated from VMI this last may, and am trying to get my aviation contract back, but it is not a given. I don't want to have to complete OCS a second time only to end up in a MOS that I didn't want. Especially if I can hold out for the January class and have a better chance of getting the Aviation contract. The pedestrian bridge at brown field awaits me again. Thanks for all your help gentleman.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
buhlma said:
Thanks for your reply, short answer to your questions I graduated from PLC/OCC in the summer of 2003, but i was dropped from the program for not having 12 hours the next semester, I graduated from VMI this last may, and am trying to get my aviation contract back, but it is not a given. I don't want to have to complete OCS a second time only to end up in a MOS that I didn't want. Especially if I can hold out for the January class and have a better chance of getting the Aviation contract. The pedestrian bridge at brown field awaits me again. Thanks for all your help gentleman.

holy crap you were in my company...which platoon? PLC/OCC 2003

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
Our company was told today that if they are an NFO contract they WILL not have a chance at getting a pilot contract while at TBS. NFO's are in high demand right now.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
usmc96 said:
Some companies at TBS are alotted more slots beacuse they are OCC heavy rather than NAvy/ROTC guys who have had time to decide if they want to fly.

Fox company was alomst entirely OCC 189... we got 1 air slot.

Raptor2216

My advice is always the same to this question. If you want to be a pilot, then you make damn sure that you get a pilot slot before you get to TBS. If you don't mind the great likelyhood of becoming a ground officer, only then should you make the decision of trying to wing it here at TBS. However, this isn't to negate everything that has been said earlier about the possibility of earning an open air slot while at TBS.

Just keep in mind that in general, you will have a lot more "wanna be" 0302's who change their mind after FEX I, than 7599'ers wanting to be ground officers at any given point during TBS.

Now for a disclaimer, anyone who comes back to tell me i'm wrong, keep in mind that I said in general. There may always be a rare exception.