• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Slot Guarantee?

rowdygarn

I am looking at joining the navy or army and going active duty. I have a doctorate degree and was wondering if i could get a contract guaranteeing me flight slot for helicopters?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How old are you? You must be commissioned by 27 for the flight program. Because you already have a degree, the only way to join the NAVY or MARINE CORPS is to speak to an OFFICER Recruiter and enter via OCS (NAVY) or OCS & TBS (USMC).

-ea6bflyr ;)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
your degree has zero bearing on the platform you will fly... Army has little fixed wing aviation, if you want to kill shit in a helo, go there.

Can't specifically speak for Navy OCS, but I believe that you sign up for pilot or NFO... you fight for platform after entering the training pipeline.

I'll let another rabid dog give you a candid answer there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just turned 30 and was told i can get a waiver. That possible or have I been deceived?

Unless you have prior enlisted time, which seems unlikely, you're not going to get an age waiver in the Navy. Your mileage with other services may vary. There are all kinds of threads here about the various Navy programs, but as I indicated, you're too old for them. There are a couple Army helo folks around here though, so they may have some answers.

Brett

2ndGen

Third times a charm
You are not too old to go Army yet, I have a 30 year old friend who is pursuing a warrent officer program. From what I know, age waivers are hard to come by (USMC), I'll be cutting it close, and my OSO has made it very clear that he does not want to be trying to get me an age waiver.