• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight school NPQ

USMCMidd

Hello gents. Quick question, what if you get to API and you get medically NPQ'd for whatever reason? Do you end up getting a less than desirable ground MOS job? I have heard your TBS ranking comes into play here, that makes sense. But would you be able to get combat arms, or somthing like ADJ or whatever?
My mother asked me this question the other night and I had no idea myself so i figured I would post it.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Generally, the above statement applies. However, I've been witness to the discussions of "decisionmakers" that indicate Manpower making an attempt to favor your needs in NPQ or attrite situations, vice DORs. Nothing's ever guaranteed though!

USMCMidd

Yea I am not talking about guys that just give up at flight school. I meant like say they found somthing wrong with your heart or eyes or whatever during a physical at API, you obviously have the skill and talent to be there (under your control) but your body decides to crap out on you a little (completely out of your control). You would think that guys who are sharp cookies that had to leave flight school due to uncotrollable medical issues would end up with tanks, intell jobs, etc.

LtFluco

I have seen several of the above mentioned cases; some were atrites, and some medical. The ones that dropped and showed their worth to MATSG-21(i.e. were super motivated in the MOC office) ended up getting what the wanted. Then there have been those that caused some fuss on the way out and they are now being held at MATSG for a permanent stash to run out their 4 years. There are also some, of course, that were useful to MATSG but still got shafted because the USMC needed them somewhere other than where they wanted to go. So, the moral of the story is don't get NPQ'd, and if you do, do everything you can to try to get on the good side of the MATSG staff so that they will make an attempt to put out a good word for you so that you won't be on the next plane back up to Quantico for IOC.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
We had a guy who attrited in API and got his first choice, Tanks .... while at TBS there were only 2 Tank slots for our entire class. Another DOR'd first week in Primary and got his first choice Infantry. I believe they filled out a new selection sheet and that the one from TBS didn't mean squat. I'm sure it doesn't always work out that well .. but just giving some stiuations.

hscs

pilot
Guys are getting stashed at MATSG for 4 years and they are ripping guys out of non-ground combat positions (e.g. SWOs and the Navy side of Naval aviation) to run convoys. Seems f----d up to me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guys are getting stashed at MATSG for 4 years and they are ripping guys out of non-ground combat positions (e.g. SWOs and the Navy side of Naval aviation) to run convoys. Seems f----d up to me.

Welcome to a thread from 12 months ago. Generally the qualified officers that are getting pulled from the Tracoms aren't pulling convoy duty, they're doing some that requires a bit more fleet experience. There are plenty of DOR/Attrites that are getting sent on IAs, but there are only so many that they would actually be useful for.